what do you make of this laptop for general use/video editing?

decision fish

Baseband Member
What do you guys think to this laptop?

I want an all round good laptop with a powerful cpu and 2gb ram, i don't want to play games but i do want to use photoshop and video editing software.

do you know what the santa rosa designation means?

would not having a dedicated graphics card (this lappy has onboard graphics) stop me from using it for video editing? which i want to do

here it is

Fujitsu Siemens Esprimo Mobile V5505

here are the specs:

Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor Santa RosaT7300 (2.2 GHz), Front side bus (FSB) 800 MHz 800 MHz
Memory: DIMM slots (667 MHz) 2, DDR2-667 SDRAM up to 2048MB 4 GB supported
BIOS: BIOS Flash EPROM Phoenix First BIOS Phoenix First BIOS
Hard disk drives (internal) *, S.M.A.R.T. 250 GB S-ATA 150 (5400rpm), * 1 Gbyte equals one billion bytes, when referring to hard disk drive, capacity; accessible capacity may vary, also depending on used software and tool.
Fixed drives: Super Multi DVD writer (incl DVD RAM, 8x double layer support)
Display: 15.4-inch TFT WXGA / 1280 x 800 pixel non glare (glare optiona ), Max. resolution for external displays Up to 1920 x 1440 / true color / 60 Hz Up to 1920 x 1440 / true color / 60 Hz
Graphics: Intel® GMA X3100 (shared memory up to 384 MB)*, ATI Mobility Radeon HD2400 VRAM 128 MB, additional up to 896 MB, Hypermemory supported*, Direct X9, Direct X10, Pixelshader 2.0, DualView , * depending on system memory
Interfaces: Express Card slot (34/54mm) 1, 3in1 Card Reader (SD, MMC and memory stick) 1, USB 2.0 4, S-Video out (TV-out) 1, VGA 1, Modem RJ 11 Optional, LAN RJ-45 1, Audio-in (line-in / microphone) 1, Audio-out (line-out / headphone) 1, DC-in 1, Kensington Lock 1
Chipset: Northbridge Intel® 965GM Intel® 965PM, Southbridge ICH 8-M ICH 8-M
Modem on board: 56K V.92 modem MDC1.5 Optional
Intel® Turbo Memory Optional
LAN on board: built-in 10/100/1000 Mbps (Realtek 8111B-GR)
Wireless Technologies (WLAN): Import and usage according to country-specific regulations. Intel® PRO/Wireless 4965AGN, Other WLAN optional, Optional integrated UMTS/HSUPA, also supported are GPRS and EDGE, or higher - Option GTM378, 7.2Mbit/s download
Audio: Stereo speakers Conexant CX20549, Internal microphone
Keyboard and pointing device: Keyboard 85 keys, 19mm pitch, 2.5mm key stroke, 85 keys, 19mm pitch, 2.5mm key stroke, Touchpad with two mouse buttons with two mouse buttons, Status LED
Supported Standard: WMI / CIM / WBEM, PXE
Power supply: 1st Li-Ion battery 6 cell 4400 mAH (48 Wh), First battery * (Mobile Mark tbd) [up to] 3 h 2.5 h, AC adapter 20V/90W Adapter, Rated voltage (AC input) 100 - 240 V, Rated frequency 50 - 60 Hz, DC output 20 V, 4.5 A, Dynamic charge supported (rapid charge), * Battery life may vary depending on product model, configuration, applications, power management settings and features utilized. Battery recharge time depends on usage.
Operating temperatures: Relative humidity (non-condensing) 20% - 85% 20% - 85%, Ambient temperature 5° - 35° C 5° - 35° C
Dimensions / Weight: Dimensions (H x W x D) 24~37 x 364 x 259 mm 24~37 x 364 x 259 mm, Weight* 2.7 kg 2.8 kg, * Weight may vary depending on actual configuration
Certificates: CE according to EU Directives 89/336/EEC (EMC), 73/23/EEC (Product safety), CE according to 99/5/EEC (R&TTE), CE! (Wireless) x (with integrated WLAN) x (with integrated WLAN), CE (Emission/Immunity), R&TTE, CB Generic Report, CB (Safety), RoHS, WHQL, TBR21
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premiumâ„¢

thanks in advance for ant help you guys can give,
decision fish

That wouldn't be a bad laptop at all if you get at least 2GB of memory and the ATI Mobility Radeon HD2400 video system. The integrated graphics wont stop you from editing, it just wont perform as well as the ATI solution. I might also suggest getting 4GB of memory since you are running Vista and planning on editing if you can afford it.

It's a pretty good laptop and you can do fine with video editing. 2-4GB of RAM is a nice fit for you.

The name Santa Rosa is a code Intel uses that refers to the 4th gen Centrino platform. Most new laptops are running off of that now which is what you want. If you wait a few more months, Intel will be coming out with a brand spanking new Intel Core 2 Duo (code-named Penryn) 45nm processor scheduled for release in January 2008 for Santa Rosa Refresh platform.

The Santa Rosa platform utilize "dynamic acceleration technology" which allows single threaded applications to execute faster. When a single threaded application is running, the CPU can turn off one of the CPU cores and overclock the active core. In this way the CPU maintains the same Thermal Profile as it would when both cores are active. It is expected that Santa Rosa can perform well in mobile gaming too due to its ability to switch between single threaded and multithreaded tasks.

nice one thanks guys, i just bought the laptop and i'll let you know how it goes.

Never used vista before so looking forward to trying it but prepared to put xp on there if i don't like it.

also, do you rate the t7300 cpu? i didn't want to go under 2ghz

thank you for your support gentlemen, it is much appreciated

I may have added a little too much info there, lol. I get so excited when I talk about new stuff and Penryn is one of them. Penryn and Phenom (Intel and AMD respectively).

Hope your laptop does what you need. I would recommend upgrading the RAM down the road as needed depending on how demanding video editing becomes. A 7200RPM hard drive doesn't either, but that's luxury stuff. I believe the one you're getting is a 5400RPM drive.

I may have added a little too much info there, lol. I get so excited when I talk about new stuff and Penryn is one of them. Penryn and Phenom (Intel and AMD respectively).

Hope your laptop does what you need. I would recommend upgrading the RAM down the road as needed depending on how demanding video editing becomes. A 7200RPM hard drive doesn't either, but that's luxury stuff. I believe the one you're getting is a 5400RPM drive.

thanks isowner, can never have too much info, it's the air i breathe.

it comes with 2gb ram doesn't it? that should do for me for a while at least but in the future i may well do,

thanks again for your help mate

I think it sounds pretty good. I would recommend getting the most RAM that you can because you are going to be working with Vista, but other than that- it sounds good. Graphics card should work out fine for you as well.

Back
Top Bottom