Veterans Day

I would say that definitely has an effect knowing that your family members were involved and give you a more deeper insight on the meaning of Veterans Day. Watching the news, you see those families (especially those who lost lives) honoring them with tears still flowing down their face.

I guess it can be ignorant, but ignorant on my part. From when I was a little boy, my family never took Veterans Day seriously and I grew up on that thought. It's always a barbeque day, party day, visit the family day, shopping day, etc. You get the drift.

I knew in the back of my mind that it has something to do with war, but I've always referred to that as something in the past to which it has no relevance to me besides the fact that they reshaped the future for us all (sounds like a pretty big deal if you read that correctly). I should thank them for that, but now that we're a generation or two in the future, the concept fades like bleach on black pants for me. I don't remember the teacher ever talking about Veterans day in elementary school, but maybe it was that long ago and I wasn't listening. We were all very excited to take that extra Monday off.

Thats the problem with todays society, all of the materialistic rich millionares who dont give a shit about their freedom. (not referring to you AT ALL, just making a point) They go on their everyday lives and could care less about people like my dad who fought for their freedom. I find it very disheartening to hear that people don't take it seriously, veterans day is not only for WWII, it is for all veterans and should be taken seriously. If people could understand what it's like to wake up everyday and ask yourself, "I wonder if dad's still alive" they would take it seriously. However, that just isnt the case. People cant really think like this until they deal with it personally.

I guess it can be ignorant, but ignorant on my part. From when I was a little boy, my family never took Veterans Day seriously and I grew up on that thought. It's always a barbeque day, party day, visit the family day, shopping day, etc. You get the drift.

I knew in the back of my mind that it has something to do with war, but I've always referred to that as something in the past to which it has no relevance to me besides the fact that they reshaped the future for us all (sounds like a pretty big deal if you read that correctly). I should thank them for that, but now that we're a generation or two in the future, the concept fades like bleach on black pants for me. I don't remember the teacher ever talking about Veterans day in elementary school, but maybe it was that long ago and I wasn't listening. We were all very excited to take that extra Monday off.
Everything is closed on Remberance Day in Canada. (stores, schools, etc)

I take it seriously. We have assemblies at school and there was supposed to be some sort of rememberance period this morning but it's pouring rain and extremely windy so it was canceled. No matter how many years ago it was, without those veterans we might not have freedom today.

IMO it's ignorant even in the year 4000 not to remember.

I'll bet if the draft was still in effect, more people will take it more seriously because it will be a part of our lives (especially with all the conflicts occuring right now). There are a lot of talk on how people these days take things for granted and freedom is a HUGE part of that.

IMO it's ignorant even in the year 4000 not to remember.

the year 4000 would be very different if it was for those who gave their lives to our freedom, the least we can do is acknowledge that people, granted it was about 60 years ago, were shipped off to fight in what was probably the biggest war ever, and hopefully the last of that kind, to do their part to our freedom.

they were all true heroes :)

edit: @neonfire i didnt aim that at you just used the reference to the year 4000 :) i agreed with what you said

the year 4000 would be very different if it was for those who gave their lives to our freedom, the least we can do is acknowledge that people, granted it was about 60 years ago, were shipped off to fight in what was probably the biggest war ever, and hopefully the last of that kind, to do their part to our freedom.

they were all true heroes :)

edit: @neonfire i didnt aim that at you just used the reference to the year 4000 :) i agreed with what you said
What I was trying to say is no matter how long ago it was we should still acknowledge them.

Your post made me extremely confused. :p

Veterans Day may not seem like much to a lot of people in America because they haven't experienced things such as a loved one joining the military, going overseas, going to Iraq. Its a holiday for the men and women who have taken part in a war, seen things that most of us will never see in our lifetime and done things that are equally amazing and horrific. It changes them and Veterans Day is a way of thanking them for their sacrifice.

What I was trying to say is no matter how long ago it was we should still acknowledge them.

Your post made me extremely confused. :p

lol my post made perfect sense to me when i was typing it.... ;)

and yes i realized that is what you meant lol but i was just saying that if they didn't fight in the war then the year 4000 would be very different :D

Back
Top Bottom