GeForce 8900 Series?

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Is the 8900 series Nvidia for real? As of now, G80 is still the fastest graphics chip on the market. It has 128 unified shaders and can process a lot of pixels. But those shaders aren't necessarily proficient at rendering complex graphics, as science calculations can easily run on a graphics card disguised as a small shader program. Now, Geforce 8900 GTX is expected to have 25 percent more Shader power, and dual Geforce 8950 GX2 configurations should provide a lot more Shader and Pixel power.

Some Chinese sources claim that the upcoming GeForce 8950GX2 card will sell for $599 USD. It is rumored to be the successor of the previous 7950GX2 and will come with a total of 512MB GDDR-4 memory per GPU. As part of the new 8900 series, NVIDIA also plan to introduce the GeForce 8900GTX which will replace the current high end 8800GTX. It will ship at an approx. retail price of $549 USD and it will also see the new addition of the GDDR4 RAM which allows NVIDIA to raise the clock speeds to a smoking 2200MHz frequencies!!! The power boost may also come from the new 80nm manufacturing process.

those 8950GX2's still have to run in SLI, which severely drops the performance compared to making a card with a "dual core GPU". keep in mind though there is a HUGE difference between GPU's and CPU's, 128 unified shaders literaly means that per on clock cycle, the GPU can process 128 requests.

i just invested some money in a 8800 gtx a few months ago. im planning on selling it before the 8900 comes out and buy it

i hate my urges to have the best of the best when it comes to my pc and i hate the way technology moves so fast as my wallet cant keep up. im gunna have to start a crack habit to stop this addiction

i hate my urges to have the best of the best when it comes to my pc and i hate the way technology moves so fast as my wallet cant keep up. im gunna have to start a crack habit to stop this addiction

Totally agree:( , surely we'll reach a point when we can go no further:D .

That's the hard part. My desktop PC is three years old already and its about time to get a new one. I couldn't run several benchmark software because of my dated CPU, playing Crysis was a pain in the butt, other high performance games resulted in very low to moderate FPS, RAM is bottlenecked at just 1GB (and no, I'm not paying more money to have outdated DDR SDRAM put in. They cost more than DDR2, lol).

So you see, I could really, really use a new build right now. It sucks with software capability always increasing which increases more hardware resources.

Back
Top Bottom