Older OS upgrade question

Thing is...for realy basic users, it's sometimes hard to understand Linux. I would have said something different if it would have been someone with more experience or I would know, but for these two people, no.

I tried LINUX ubuntu, its pretty neat, but I found it was a bit of a hassle doing simple tasks like playing mp3s. Windows 98 is the best OS for the casual user IMO.

I say stick with 98 dont upgrade to ME. If you do want to upgrade, get XP.

Well Linux insnt tat popular. Everyone likes windows. thats is why I hope someone knocks Microsoft off the market.

Well, as soon as someone comes up with a better, faster, less bloated OS, then MS will still rule the coop. But that is discussion for another thread. :D

I dont know why you would want to upgrade ME is the worst OS from microsoft yet.
Upgrade to windows 2000 if you have a good RAM.
If not stay with 98SE

98se is better than 2000, which was mainly built for servers and business's

also whats the specs of the pc? you can run XP on some pretty low end machines.

Not in my opinion. Sure, it might be primarily aimed at business users (Windows 2000 has it's own server editon), but why should that make any difference? It's stable, and if your upgrading from Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 shouldnt produce too much of a learning curve.

yep agreed ^
i found a great page of tweaks that would even let 2000 run with 32mb ram!
its a great os and there are some great tweaks, i say go for it,
slightly off topic but heres a new avatar for j03, no white crap, just copy it off my avatar then ill change it bk

Not in my opinion. Sure, it might be primarily aimed at business users (Windows 2000 has it's own server editon), but why should that make any difference? It's stable, and if your upgrading from Windows 98SE, Windows 2000 shouldnt produce too much of a learning curve.
I agree. Windows 2000 was a good operating system but ME was utterly horrible.

@Thread starter: If I were you and my computer couldn't handle XP, I'd stick with Windows 98. Windows ME really isn't a good operating system and 98 is fairly stable.

I thank everyone who responded - I used two different PC's running windows ME for several years and was quite happy with it.

I stated in the original post that a new PC was not afforadble - by that I mean if its going to cost more than $30 bucks we can't afford it.

We didn't choose Windows 2000 because its designed more for the corporate world not home use. ME was the version of windows installed on home desktops when 2000 hit the market for the corporate world.

Once again I'd like to state as I did orignally his PC is not capeable of running XP or Vista, nor could he do that for $30. Money is a big issue for us - all he wants to do is get a newer version of windows because frankly - 98se isn't doing so good at the moment, and I've heard plently of bad things about it as well.

Thanks to those of you who "actually read" my meassage and answered my question.

Carol

Back
Top Bottom