8800gt vs 8800 gtx

That's only if the game is multi-threaded. You won't gain hardly anything in a single-threaded game over a Core 2 Duo. There are new quad and dual core CPU's coming from Intel in January, so I wouldn't upgrade now.

I think rudster is working on prooving that bottlenecking is not really an issue. But 8800gt is like $200 less isnt it?

I think rudster is working on prooving that bottlenecking is not really an issue. But 8800gt is like $200 less isnt it?

Its not hard to disprove a bottleneck. Its actually rather simple. You set your clocks to default speeds and run a 3dMark06. You take note of the SM2.0 and HDR/SM3.0 scores. Next you increase the clock say 100Mhz. If your SM2.0 and HDR/SM3.0 scores go up that means your cpu is still bottlenecking the GPU. You keep doing this until the SM2.0 and HDR/SM3.0 scores don't go up anymore. When they quit going up that means your CPU is not bottlenecking the GPU.

I've have already disproved 8 series bottlenecks. I don't have any screenshots though since it was while I was overclocking everything. I take data when I overclock to know what i've gained at each step. I noticed the SM scores quit going up after my cpu reached around 3.3Ghz.

You can't look at the overall score because 3dmark combines both your cpu and gpu scores as a overall score. So of course your scores will go up overall as you keep overclocking the cpu but your GPU scores will stop going up unless you overclock the card more.

Back
Top Bottom