My Own Web Server

ssc456

Fully Optimized
hey guys,

just thinking wen i get my static ip in a month or so ill be setting up my pc as a web server but it will still be my main pc so that fine i know how to do that,

but in january or feb sometime im getting a new pc so my old 1 will become a dedicated web server and nothing else and i have a few friends around the country that would like the ability to host their files on my computer and be able to manage them from there, how would i allow them to do this without giving them total control over my pc ?

cheers

You would give them FTP access (Or something similar) and restrict them to that one folder.

gonna need a little more info than that lol, treat me like a total noob,

OK - What OS Are you going to be installing on the server?

havent quiet decided yet,

id like to keep it simple and stay on XP as thats what my web server program is running on right now,

but i have considered a form of linux or server 2003

isnt there any great reason why i shouldt stay with XP on it ?

i mean besides it wasnt built for a server use, its still ok to use isnt it ?

XP has some pretty hard limits functioning as a webserver. Only 10 web connections allowed at the same time I believe?

XP has some pretty hard limits functioning as a webserver. Only 10 web connections allowed at the same time I believe?

Im not 100% on this, but i BELIVE that you can patch the whole connection thing. If i where you, i would download

Ubuntu Linux
as you OS, and the following programs:
  1. Apache2
  2. MySQL
  3. PHP
  4. ProFTPD
  5. Webmin

Im not 100% on this, but i BELIVE that you can patch the whole connection thing. If i where you, i would download

Ubuntu Linux
as you OS, and the following programs:
  1. Apache2
  2. MySQL
  3. PHP
  4. ProFTPD
  5. Webmin

ok kool well ill be setting it up jan sometime so ill post another thread after xmas

Standard XP is not suitable unless it is for a very small, carefully chosen number of users. You are most likely wanting a Windows Server OS or some kind of UNIX variant.

DJ-CHRIS is correct; you are wanting to give individual users access to individual folders and only to their own folders. Only you (as root) should have access to everything. Your main choices are either FTP or SFTP, these would be the best to use.

Ok reciently i have done about the same thing as you, and hopefully i can help. This is going to seem difficult, but stick with it, once you get the experience it gets easier. Im going to help you by walking it through step by step.

Before you get started on the server you will want to figure out a networking solution, I Highly recommend getting a Firewall to put between the server and the internet, but a simple router with port forwarding will do.

you will want to setup the network as DHCP and Limit the avalible addresses
Ex (192.168.0.2-192.168.0.99)

The server its self will have a static ip (192.168.0.100 ) this will be configured later.

to burn the disc you will need a program to burn iso's into cds if you dont have one just google iso burner or download a trial version of nero / alchohol120%

################

first pop the disc in the cdrom drive and restart,
then select "Install to hard disk" option from the menu

you will have to choose your location / language / keyboard
when selecting the keyboard dont have it auto locate, decline on the auto locate and manually select the country code (English if thats your language)

when your through with that pick your hostname try to be simple

After the hostname setup the installation will setup your hardware. Be patient this may take a while. When this is through a hard-disk menu will present itself select "Guided-use entire disk"

when your done setting up the hardware you will have to type in a "admin" or root account, Pick a easy to rember account name but it NEEDS to be something other than admin or root pick something only you would know and hard to guess. The same thing with the password prompt, Try to use both numbers and letters in the password.

(the next prompt you will want to use tab to move around and spacebar to select when your done press enter)
For your purposes you will not need a dns or lamp server and your setup would be most secure if you did not include these. so dont select any option, just press enter.

Your server is installed, but not functional you still have to configure it.

Back
Top Bottom