is my 6800 GT fried???

liquidmonkey

In Runtime
hello,

i think my graphic card is fried :(

was working on sorting out my PC (a monthly scan and clean up) and used registry booster 2 to defrag the reg and clean up any issues as have done a lot of deleting and moving of files lately.

anyway, long story short, i needed to reboot and when the PC came back on-line i was in 600x800 res and my nvidia 6800 GT no longer was working. fair enough. i restored ALL registry changes and even did a system restore and still no good.

was able to get the res back to something useful and have since tried to install the nvidia drivers 91.47 but have had NO luck in getting the nvidia 6800 GT working. most recently i installed forceware 163.75 but i think that one is a bit too much for my uses, should i try another one???

when the PC boots up nothing from nvidia loads like it used to, apart from the
nforce tray options but thats only for audio. and can i update that one by the way?

i have dual monitors and am currently running on the integrated graphics from the moboard.

have re-started numerous times using system restore, re-installing drivers, uninstalling drivers from add/remove in control panel and still no luck.

i'm starting to fear the worst that the vid card is fried (after googling for a few hours).

you guys are always my last hope and you always come through with great news, i hope its true this time too :)

all help is appreciated and thanks for reading!

You're running on integrated? Well I assume you have a BIOS option to select between the two, don't you? Take a look at that first. Other than that, no idea dude.

good point, i guess it is running off the card somehow as both monitors r up and running.

but the page refresh is extremely slow and i'm not showing any drivers installed for the card.
as mentioned, have tried reinstalling but no luck :(
any hints?

is there any entry for your video card in device manager ?

Have you tried uninstalling drivers..taking video card out and rebooting then shutting down and putting card and drivers back in?

yes, it shows up after i have gotten rid of the drivers everywhere but there is still a problem as device manager says that the drivers are either missing or corrupt.
this is really frustrating :(

ok, no luck yet :( but have discovered something that may help...

my video monitor drivers are not installed as i checked with the samsung discs as i had a hunch about this. anyone heard of this affecting the nvidia driver setup before?

Well, for a first, your GPU isn't fried. If it would have been, you would always get scanlines or no screen. If you hav your Windows XP CD laying around, put it in your computer. Go to Start and then Select Run. Type: sfc /scannow

yeah, i'm past the stress of my card being fried, thanks :)

also just noticed that there are no 'monitors' in my device manager.
and no 'display adapters' either which is where the nvidia card would be.

anyone ever had this happen??
am trying to re-install my samsung monitor drivers now...

well, i am at a total loss for ideas now.
device manager had the nvidia chipset bit - check
on reboot vga device was recognized - check
installed last known working nvidia driver - check
on reboot the 6800 GT was in the device manager under display but it had a little yellow question mark beside
was unable to install the monitor drivers

the last thing i can think of if there is a base nvidia driver i need to install before going to 91.47. meaning do i need driver A before using driver B?

other than that it seems like i'm in search of a good windows boot cd, know of any reliable torrents??

and thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated but 2 full days on this problem is too much :(

finally got the PC on reboot to recognize the card (after i turned it off and unplugged it) but when it went to install the drivers the error message of 'cannot install this hardware as the drivers are either corrupt or missing' came up.
and this is AFTER i did all the right steps to get rid of ANY nvidia drivers for this card.

i hope a full re-install will sort this out....

Back
Top Bottom