effect of 64-bit OS's on performance

gplpark92

BSOD
how come nobody's using 64-bit OS's? Their processors all support them, and 64-bit is much more expandable in terms of memory and other things (other things of which i dont know).

i mean, wouldnt 64 bit run faster on our athlons and c2d's and c2q's, because its taking advantage of all the features on the processors? or am i wrong? is it slower?

is there much compatibility issues? there used to be, i know, but do they still exist (compatiblity issues with 64bit OS's)

in a couple years we're all gonna be using 4GB dimms and ordering octo-core processors, and using wimax and usb 3.0, so shouldnt we upgrade our OS's first?

I dont have compatibility problems with mine. They will run better on 64-bit threaded apps only. Eventually games will become 64-bit tho, I assume.

and thats why im using vista64 because its obviously future proof. plus i can upgrade to 4Gb

well Xp 64 bit a few teething problems but i believe component manafuctures are concentrating alot more on vista 64 bit than XP 64 bit,

E.g more things will work on vista 64 than XP 64.

also i agree with you eventually we will all have to move onto 64 bit but apparently microsoft's next OS is still going to be 32bit orientated so god knows what they are planning,

although i imagine 64 bit will become much more popular with windows 7 but seriously how long can we hang on with 4 GB RAM ?

I use Vista Ultimate 64bit and love it. I needed 64bit with 4gigs of memory. Performance isn't any different unless the apps are designed in 64bit. Just like apps designed to run for multiple cores. If there not designed for it your not going to notice the difference.

Thankfully games like Crysis are wrote in 64bit so they can take advantage of it. I always play it in 64bit.

I needed 64bit with 4gigs of memory.

did you know that 32bit systems can affectivly make use of 4Gb,

most / all 32 bit systems can only see 3.25Gb or 3Gb but they can still distrubute the whole 4Gb to all the programs on your computer,

still the fact that it cant see all 4 slows it down

im with celegorm on that 1,

everything i have read seems to suggest that it makes absolutely no difference at all,

it can use 4Gb it just cant see it, its like having a joypad to play a computer game you can use the joypad you just cant see it, would this really slow you down when playing the game ?

ok bad example when i get my new build ill install 32 bit and 64 bit Xp and vista and run some bechmarks c wot i get

bo***cks that wont work coz even if 64 bit and 32 bit only has 2GB RAM the 64 bit will run faster coz its using the processor better ???

ok heres something interesting ?
am i right in saying there is no such thing as XP media centre 64 bit ?

well why does dell offer a 4Gb pc with media center on it ?
dell said:
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Quad-Core Q6600 processor (2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB cache) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 - English edit
MONITOR Monitor Not included edit
MEMORY 4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024] edit
HARD DRIVE 640GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x320GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurstâ„¢ cache] edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 16x DVD +/- RW Drive edit
GRAPHICS CARD SINGLE 768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics card

Back
Top Bottom