cpu temp too high?

ericf19931

Daemon Poster
i just got a prescott cpu and the temps were at around 60-70 degrees C. is that too much? i have a thermaltake spark 7+ and when i turn the fan speed all the way up, it gets 60-70 degrees C.

EDIT- the idle temp is at 61-63 and when i start browsing the web or doing something then it goes up to 65-66

the prescott' are known to run hot, if those are absolute max than your probably fine, but you should clean out your case if it has dust in it.

also you should go buy arctic silver 5 and apply that, if you want to you can get it at radio shack, although its rather expesive there but otherwise you will have to pay shiping

i think max is around 75-84 and i already had arctic silver in there, there isnt much dust in my case either.

What chip is it??

Those temps sound on the borderline for thermal protection to kick in but without knowing exactly which chip it is I'd be guessing at the threshold.

Anyway the temps are too hot. Something is not right.

Can you detail your methodology for applying AS5, attaching the heatsink, if possible post a pic of the inside of your case and supply your full system specs.

Thanx

:)

i cant get the pic right now, but my specs are pentium 4 3.00 ghz HT socket 478/ 1gb ddr ram / 160gb hdd/ asus p4p800 motherboard/ powercolor radeon x700 256mb. i didnt get what you mean by "detailing the methodology."

how did you apply the stuff?? big blob in the middle? small grain of rice in the middle??? spread with finger?? spread with other method?? twist heatsink slightly when attaching?? how you cleaned off the old TIM from the heatsink etc

That sort of thing

how did you apply the stuff?? big blob in the middle? small grain of rice in the middle??? spread with finger?? spread with other method?? twist heatsink slightly when attaching?? how you cleaned off the old TIM from the heatsink etc

That sort of thing

ok so first i got a "medium size" blob in the middle and spreaded it with my index finger, then i put the heatsink on and aligned the holes, then i put the latches on. and i cleaned the old stuff off with rubbing alcohol on a soft cloth.
hope this helps.

too much TIM by the sounds of it, especially if you have to "clean up overflow" also you shouldn't be touching it with bare skin.

What brand of TIM are you using??

Here is a basic application guide for TIM (although this is AS5 specific it will give you the general idea.)

AS5 application guide

so should i take it back out and reapply the as5 and instead use like a card or something to spread it?

Back
Top Bottom