Graphics Card Not Working, help please

mattbirk

Solid State Member
Ok, Ive tried three different video cards and none of them work and I have no idea why. Here's what I have:

Asus P4P800 SE Intel Socket 478 ATX Motherboard / Audio / AGP 8x / Gigabit LAN / S/PDIF / USB 2.0 / Serial ATA / RAID

And Ive tried these three different graphics cards:

MSI GeForce FX 5500 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8x / DVI / VGA / TV-Out / Video Card

MSI Radeon 9550 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8x / DVI / VGA / TV-Out / Video Card

GeForce 6200 |256MB DDR | AGP 8x

The only video card I have gotten to work is a Rage 128MB PRO Ultra GL AGP.

I have no idea why none of these other cards dont work, but any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

The power supply is the one which came with this case:

Xion II Silver ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply

I dont know where I would find the output...?

Try running a good quality eraser (Staedler or similar) over the gold contacts on the graphics cards then try them again.

Never ever touch the gold contacts with your bare skin.

450W should be fine, my P4C800E Deluxe system runs on a 450w psu and it has a 6800Ultra in it.

EDIT: This probably sounds uber silly but, you did install NVIDIA drivers for the two NVIDIA cards and reinstalled the Catalyst drivers for the Radeon, yes???

Im confused on what to do. Where do I get the nVidia drivers? Should I remove the drivers for the 128MB vid card? SHould I install the nvidia drivers after I remove the others? I really dont know a whole lot about what I am doing here. Thanks for the help so far tho.

EDIT: When I tried installing the nvidia drivers I get the error "The nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. System will exit now."

Im confused on what to do. Where do I get the nVidia drivers? Should I remove the drivers for the 128MB vid card? SHould I install the nvidia drivers after I remove the others? I really dont know a whole lot about what I am doing here. Thanks for the help so far tho.

EDIT: When I tried installing the nvidia drivers I get the error "The nvidia setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware. System will exit now."
:rolleyes:

1/. Uninstall the drivers (I assume Catalyst) that you use for the Rage 128MB PRO Ultra GL AGP in the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programmes

2/. Boot into Safe Mode (usually F8 button when first powering up, tap it repeatedly, select safe mode from the options presented, desktop display should have safe mode in all four corners)

3/. Run driver Cleaner Pro as per instructions

4/. Power off

5/. Change out cards, reboot, cancel the "Found new hardware Wizard" then run the appropriate driver .exe (FX5500 & GF6200 use the Forceware driver) (9550 & Rage 128 use the Catalyst driver)

Each time you change between NVIDIA & Radeon cards you need to use the appropriate driver.

Use the drivers linked by Atomic Rooster above

Ok, I did all that and still no luck. The video card Im trying is the geforce 6200. The monitor still doesnt turn on when that card is in. The fan spins on it, but thats all. I ran driver cleaner in safe mode then shut down. That is as far as I could get.

I think it has something to do with a power issue. Ive read in some reviews that other people are having the same problem. But ive tried everything and still no luck.

from people ive talked to lately, ive been told that it could be a voltage issue.
i was told that my motherboard only supports .8v and 1.5v and the cards that i have tried to connect are all 3.5v. could this be a possibility?

so i just talked to asus and the first guy told me to switch the position of the ram, because asus boards dont recognize Ultra memory too well. That didnt work. the second guy told me that its the motherboard because it should beep if there is no video card in the slot. so they are going to send me a new motherboard. i hope that works, cause its a pain changing motherboards.

thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom