Plasma Image Retention

Kage

Golden Master
You may know I bought a Plasma TV not long ago.
I have been having a few problems. One of which happened tonight, but I'm hoping it'll be gone by morning.

I dont't plague the screen with still material much at all. If I do, its only game logo's etc that are there for roughly a few minutes each on Motor Storm (the game I've been playing the most).

Well, I have read up a bit of Image Retention, and I've been getting it quite a lot.

I noticed it the first time when I switched the TV off to go to bed one night, and could see even when off, a ghost of a TV presenter that wasn't even still for any period of time... I turned the TV on again, and it was still there but this cleared after a few minutes on its own.

Tonight though, I was playing motor Storm, and I always make sure to press the PS button to have a completley black screen every so often when they do show for long periods, but I did this at one point, and I realised to my horror the Boost and Position text were stuck there, and rather noticably too when showing black. The Motor Storm text at the top also got stuck there, and that wasn't showing for long either, but this went rather quickly.

The text doesn't show when showing colours, and whites, but only blacks, and I've had the TV off for a few hours now, and when turning it on, they are still evident.

I didn't even have it on long for it to do this, and races only last around 5 minutes each!

I'm hoping it'll have gone by tommorow :( If not, chances are, already, I've burned them into the screen itself :(

I didn't know Plasma screens had this problem. Usually it's the projection TV's that have this problem. I game on a 52" projection TV, and I don't have any burned images after playing hours of Halo 3 and Forza 2. Not even the HUD or gauges.

Yep, for Plasma's its a very big problem apparently. A search in Google comes up with many thousands of posts on the subject...

I just hope it goes, and this will start to happen less often as I keep using it.

I bought the set for gaming, and if I can't do this without the worry of damaging my screen, it isn't good. I wasn't warned about the worries of Plasma when buying or setting up the set at Curry's where I bought it.
Only after researching did I find any info out.

Apparently, temporary Image Retention that last a few hours on the screen, can happen after only the first 5 minutes or so of a static image...

You might want to ask a videophile forum for advice. I think there's some specific videos that could possibly do away with the problem by flashing blank images onto the screen.

I didn't know Plasma screens had this problem

They're absolutely horrible with this. I could say worse then projection screens. Go to an airport, and try to read their Plasma monitors. I guarantee you they'll all suffer from some degree of screen burn. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll accept exchanges or returns due to burn in. Most instruction manuals clearly state this is the fault of the customer, not the product.

Yep, but its weird how Image Rentention can happen after a very short time.

Image Burn In is different to Retention, as the image slowly goes after a few hours, but Image Burn In, is perminiant and never goes.

It is worrying though, and I've had the set about a week now, that I've suffered from the problem twice, worrying both times wheather it'll go or not.

Back
Top Bottom