The future of CF

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
Yeah, I know what you're thinking. Just another thread about the whole Brookfield thing, but it's not. This is about everything in general that's happened here recently and how I think it's affecting the forums.

1. The whole "Brookfield" issue - This issue definitely hasn't been looked over. There are people wanting him demoted (myself included), people defending him and just all around drama because of his moderator position. It seems that every second post by him that I see is also edited out by Mark Thorpe. In my opinion if any member did the things Brookfield has done (such as using confidential information, posting it (in the past I've saw him post IP addresses) and making countless double posts they would have been banned. Instead of just editing out Brookfield's double posts with things like "shut up", why not just delete them silently and/or merge them?

2. George Monks and other spammers - It seems as if we're getting 0 new members that remain active other than more accounts made by previous banned members such as George Monks. It also seems that most welcome threads end up skeptical on IP searches and whatnot, therefore making the community seem unwelcoming.

3. The overall dull-ness of the forum - Let's face it - this forum is primarly full of teenagers and young adults that don't care if it looks extremely professional. I think the forums should feel a bit more relaxed with a combination of different themes that suit individual people's tastes. Instead we are still using the same theme that we were using when I first joined the forums. There needs to be a change within the forum. I applaud David for enabling the custom avatars but that wasn't done without a million uproars over the issue which has also been happening ever since I came here.

4. The reputation system - The reputation system was wanted so bad by many members before it was introduced and shortly after was starting to be abused and continues to be abused. The initial intentions of the rep system, correct me if I'm wrong, were to give people reputation whenever they helped members out. This method is flawed in several ways because too much reputation is given for things like videos, jokes and random comments and not enough for helping. If a new member comes here and a member gives that member help with his or her problem and they give the member a reputation point, it doesn't affect their total reputation point count and just appears grey.

5. Bickering and miscommunication between moderators - This one speaks for itself and was covered in another thread recently in the Comments, Suggestions and Feedback forums. It seems as if the moderation team could use some new ways to communicate with each other and bickering between the moderators looks inprofessional in my opinion. With things happening such as Mark editing Brookfield's posts with the reason "shut up" (or similar), it's easy to tell there's something wrong.

I'm tired tonight so I can't really explain in detail about anything but these are just my honest opinions on the current state of ComputerForums. It also seems as if we have to fight and fight for David to do anything to the forums and I think in the future it'll end up as members leaving before any of the above problems get fixed.

Trust me, there's a reason why there aren't that many active new members.

I think this should go in the Feedback forum.

But it will definitely garner more attention if it's in the social lounge. Power to you.

6. The report function is being abused. If a certain mods post is reported and that mod receives the report first it is not being dealt with and is used against the reportee.
7. Members' private personal details are being "aquired" by certain Mods and in some cases posted in threads.

Here's what I propose. The Social Lounge be moved to the middle of the forum instead of at the top. That takes the focus off of the "social" aspects and more of the "computer" help since that's the first thing we see. This is a Computer Forum after all.

Second, divide up the General Hardware and Software forum to two separate subforums at least. On the main page, everything is all jumbled inside.

Third, maybe it's time to get more diversified moderators. Get people older and more experienced. We can mix it up with some 40 year olds (if they're on here), 30 year olds, 20's, and in the teens instead of all from a simiar age group.

Procrastination by some who can make a difference are the forums biggest weakness.

I say disable rep completely, whatever happened to that poll where the consensus of people wanted it gone? If we're going to keep it, at least disable rep in the social lounge and put a cap on how much rep can be given per day or something.

As for the other issues, I hope they're resolved soon. The longer they stay under the rug, the worse things get. I'd like to see this place booming with new members and I know we have the potential for that to happen.

I think this should go in the Feedback forum.

But it will definitely garner more attention if it's in the social lounge. Power to you.
It's not really a suggestion... just a general debate.

6. The report function is being abused. If a certain mods post is reported and that mod receives the report first it is not being dealt with and is used against the reportee.
7. Members' private personal details are being "aquired" by certain Mods and in some cases posted in threads.
6. I agree with the report function comment.

7. I think I mentioned Brookfield acquiring several users' confidential information and posting it in threads.

Here's what I propose. The Social Lounge be moved to the middle of the forum instead of at the top. That takes the focus off of the "social" aspects and more of the "computer" help since that's the first thing we see. This is a Computer Forum after all.
I don't see how switching the order of two forums is going to help much. Users can still click on whichever forum they wish to visit easily.

Second, divide up the General Hardware and Software forum to two separate subforums at least. On the main page, everything is all jumbled inside.
That I agree with.

Third, maybe it's time to get more diversified moderators. Get people older and more experienced. We can mix it up with some 40 year olds (if they're on here), 30 year olds, 20's, and in the teens instead of all from a simiar age group.
I don't think age matters as much as responsbility, experience and maturity.

I say disable rep completely, whatever happened to that poll where the consensus of people wanted it gone? If we're going to keep it, at least disable rep in the social lounge and put a cap on how much rep can be given per day or something.

As for the other issues, I hope they're resolved soon. The longer they stay under the rug, the worse things get. I'd like to see this place booming with new members and I know we have the potential for that to happen.
I wasn't entirely suggesting that the reputation system be removed completely, but that's also an option. I like the idea of disabling it in the social lounge but I'm not really sure if that's possible (from my experiences with vBulletin, maybe with a modification or something).

Yeah, the forum does have a lot of potential for new members but with the way things are going right now I don't see it happening any time soon. In fact in my opinion the forum is going downhill and it's going downhill quick.

Edit: I see someone moved this post to the Comments/Suggestions/Feedback board. Honestly it's not a suggestion as such so I don't see why it shouldn't remain in the Social Lounge.

People can still find the Social Lounge and post in there, but it just draws the focus more on the computer subforums. Have all the General and Software subforums at the very top along with the web stuff, OS, programming, etc. Then at the bottom or somewhere near there, have an "Off Topic" forum. Just an idea to shuffle it around because a lot of things happen in the Social Lounge. New members usually come on for computer questions. So the first thing they see, won't be some degrading topic about something and discourage them from being on here. Instead, it will be a nice, clean, Hardware forum, Software forum, etc.

the problem with rep is as neonfire said...Rep from the social lounge usually means nothing as it is for a joke or a funny video or something more often than not..Making it only in the help section is flawed also because most of the people asking for help are newer members and they cannot give rep until a certain number of posts are made. I agree that the rep system is pointless.

People can still find the Social Lounge and post in there, but it just draws the focus more on the computer subforums. Have all the General and Software subforums at the very top along with the web stuff, OS, programming, etc. Then at the bottom or somewhere near there, have an "Off Topic" forum. Just an idea to shuffle it around because a lot of things happen in the Social Lounge. New members usually come on for computer questions. So the first thing they see, won't be some degrading topic about something and discourage them from being on here. Instead, it will be a nice, clean, Hardware forum, Software forum, etc.
I never thought of it like that, but that's a great idea. Forums like Computerforum.com have implemented it fairly well and there could be an archive for older General Computer Hardware and Software problem posts and then newer ones could be posted in the appropriate specific forum for that subject.

the problem with rep is as neonfire said...Rep from the social lounge usually means nothing as it is for a joke or a funny video or something more often than not..Making it only in the help section is flawed also because most of the people asking for help are newer members and they cannot give rep until a certain number of posts are made. I agree that the rep system is pointless.
I agree 100%.

Back
Top Bottom