Cheap Network Storage idea

I was thinknig of getting a network storage device the other night,so i looked at prices and they are really expensive,so i had a think about it and made up a little diagram on how you could make your own,Im just not sure wether or not it would work:

Diagram.jpg

Ok,I start of with my Ethernet to Male USB Converter,I plug the ethernet into my router,i plug the USB end into a Female USB to Female USB converter,and i then plug the other end into a 3.5" Hdd Enclosure (with a 20gig hdd in it).Would this work?

Really, do what ssc456 said, cheap and easy. Your router should have DHCP set up on it, so no need to add converters...

Because,Those are more expensive,whereas my diagram will only cost me $20 (i already have case and hdd) plus im on a very strict budget (I Dont have a job yet,i have to earn all my pocket money)

You'll need a USB to Ethernet adapter and then plug into your router. Why getting the extra wiring?

Oh and...it may not work. Network drives and enclosures have firmwares that allows the Route to connect to it. It might not see it if not. It'll be more like: WTF is this? Man, I'm not touching! Satan!

Lol! I Need the extra wiring because the plug on the USB to ethernet is a male plug,the male plug on the enlcosure wont connect to it,thats why i need the Female to Female.

im still 95% sure it wont work because a USB hardrive enclosure needs drivers an ethernet cable will not carry that data through to the computer to install it.

you router will think hmm something is there but i dont know what and it needs the drivers to be able to tell what it is, thats why NIC cards need driverss to be able to tell the router its a computer.

Back
Top Bottom