vista/xp question

adrian krstisto

Baseband Member
i recently installed vista with brand new hard drive. I still have my old xp drive. Id like to have a choice in which os id like to use at start up. Ive seen done, at my work. Anyone know how to do this. Right now my xp drive is the f drive. :eek:

When you start your computer, there should be something that says "boot settings press f#" I forget what number it is, but when you press that it should say like Boot from CD drive HDD#1 HDD#2 and choose #2 which is your XP.

Rule of thumb for dual booting, install the oldest os first.

The boot order needs to be rewritten.

Plug the XP drive in as master and the Vista drive as slave, boot up then run EasyBCD to fix the boot.ini or BCD as it is now called in Vista.

EasyBCD d/load link

I'm pretty sure you can do it that way, if not leave the disks as they are and reinstall Vista, that will rewrite the boot.ini, then use EasyBCD to fix up the choices order at the os selection screen. (Personally I'd just reinstall Vista)

what is wide connector?

"When you start your computer, there should be something that says "boot settings press f#" I forget what number it is, but when you press that it should say like Boot from CD drive HDD#1 HDD#2 and choose #2 which is your XP."

did not work.

i may have to go to computer shop and spend money to fix this issue. I dont believe its possible anymore, its turning into a pipe dream. The more questions i ask the more impossible it becomes. Why so complex Microsoft, i just want to be able to select my o/s before anything boots. up.:eek:

serioulsy though, i dont know much about hardrives and booting up different o/s systems. i didnt think i needed my xp but boy was i wrong. i cant play oblivion w/mods on vista thanks to obmm not being able to work with vista. POS

mate, are your drives IDE (wide ribbon cable?)

If so, on the back between the power and ide plug sockets is a little row of pins (usually eight) with (probably) a little white jumper on them, printed on the drive will be a picture of the jumper settings showing which pins to jump to achieve master/slave etc.

If the drives are SATA (red cable) there is no need to worry about master/slave, just ensure your XP drive is set to first boot device in the boot order in the bios.

If you have trouble with jumpers I suggest you don't touch your boot.ini file, the easiest way for you would be to reinstall Vista, it will auto configure your BCD (boot.ini) when you install.

From within XP, drop your Vista disk in the drive, let it auto run, select the destination drive (real important you get the right drive or it will wipe out XP) and away you go.

:)

jumper on my vista seagate and no jumper on my xp seagate.

:confused:

im at work, i have to be home. my mind is about to explode.:p

OK, you'll have to look at the drives for jumper settings, some drives (not sure about Seagates) have no jumper for master.

Post up the drive model numbers and I'll see if I can help you further.

Back
Top Bottom