Linux and GRUB

kjosel13

Baseband Member
ok so i loaded linux ubuntu. so after trying it out, restarting, using GRUB to boot windows vista, i screwed with the partitions a little bit, not knowing what i was doing. once i was done that, i restarted my computer, and a black screen comes up saying

GRUB loading, please wait...
Error 22

and now i cant boot anything off my computer (well yea i can still boot from a cd, but that wont do me much good). it just sits at this black screen. what happened and how do i fix it? (im using my other computer now)

You might have to reinstall either windows or ubuntu to fix that. Since you have messed with the partitions it may not be able to boot.

well i bought my computer from circuit city so i dont have a windows vista disc. are there any other options besides buying windows vista or getting it by... other means:D ?

I had the same problem when I tried uninstalling ubuntu and reinstall windows 98. I didn't have much luck, but I just went ahead and reinstalled linux again and it worked fine. I know it doesn't help much with your problem but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

but the thing is i didnt touch the main partition, which is the C: drive (the one with vista on it) so shouldnt i be able to boot from that and then jus get rid of linux?

I got the exact same error message, but the only difference is that I installed ubuntu to the entire hard drive. I even deleted all partitions and tried installing windows 98 on the hdd multiple times but the message kept coming up.

I think it has something to do with the linux partitions, they are different then windows (C:/ or D:/). I havent figured a solution yet but I will let you know if I get it fixed.

I don't know if it's the same for Vista but for XP to fix that error, boot off your windows disc and go to the command line prompt (Repair).

then you need to type CD .. to get to the C:/ directory

then type fixboot C:

then bootcfg /rebuild

then exit and restart the computer as normal (without the boot CD)

^^ that should work.
What you probably did was that you screwed up grub and most likely the whole linux partition. But vista should be fine if you didn't touch that partition, the reason why you can't boot is because grub overwrites MBR and since grub is broken you can't use it to boot.

And if D88's instructions don't work you could just reinstall grub.

what D88 said will work, i had that problem because i installed GRUB on the later half of 123gb and my BIOS doesnt support large HDD's so i had to do that. booted straight into XP and i formatted all my linux partitons and i was done.

now im dual boothing vista and xp, havent had to boot into xp since installing vista though, no issues what so ever. although i havent tried to OC my video card yet, i think i may have problems there

Back
Top Bottom