Server

culexor

Daemon Poster
I have several questions about servers...

First, I was wondering how you would go about building your own. What kind of hardware do I need? What OS is reccomended? Am I better off building one on the manufacturers website (dell.com,hp.com,etc)? I want a server for gaming so I can possibly sell game servers. I wouldn't need it for a web server because I already have a hosting account and I'm fine there.

Second, should I build my own server and have it co-located or should I use a provider and purchase a dedicated server (e.g. theplanet.com)? What would I be better off with in the long run (pricewise)? How much does co-locating cost?

Third, how would I go about controlling that server from my home computer to configure the game servers? Would remote desktop be ok or is there a better way?

That's all the questions I have for now but I'm sure I'll have some more later on.

I have several questions about servers...

First, I was wondering how you would go about building your own. What kind of hardware do I need? What OS is reccomended? Am I better off building one on the manufacturers website (dell.com,hp.com,etc)? I want a server for gaming so I can possibly sell game servers. I wouldn't need it for a web server because I already have a hosting account and I'm fine there.

Second, should I build my own server and have it co-located or should I use a provider and purchase a dedicated server (e.g. theplanet.com)? What would I be better off with in the long run (pricewise)? How much does co-locating cost?

Third, how would I go about controlling that server from my home computer to configure the game servers? Would remote desktop be ok or is there a better way?

That's all the questions I have for now but I'm sure I'll have some more later on.

Gameservers, if you want to sell gameservers, you'd want true servers with ECC RAM and fast as hell hard drives. You'd also want a multiple processor setup as well, changing maps uses alot of processor power.

Controlling servers, Windows servers a combo of RDP / FTP (RDP for you, FTP for customers). Linux servers after their setup, usually SSH / FTP (SSH for you, FTP for customers)

if its for gaming ya your going to want at lest 2 quad core server cpus
8g of ram couple of fast harddrives

Back
Top Bottom