Please Step by step on how to set up wireless networking

The wireless switch is in the front of the laptop it is on. I am running vista. I went to the control panel amd connect to the internet. There are 3 options 1-wirelss 2- broadband 3-dial-up. I assume I should click on the wireless one.

did that. Now it's asking me for a passphrase> Actually security key or passphrase. Where can I find that?

Hmmm, Linksys usually has that disable when you get it. But look around the outside of the Linksys router and look for a sticker or something that has the the word "WEP" or "WPA" written. Next to that, is your secret security key. Enter that in.

I think I am in trouble there is nothing of those letters that you mentioned. I went to the linksys websight I can download a data sheet, manual or what ever firmware is, Will any of this help?

You don't need the firmware or data sheet. The manual will help.

I should tell you to disconnect the Ethernet cable first before doing all that. Is there a chance that you might have been trying to connect to other wireless networks?

Leave the cable plugged in and try this. Click on Internet Explorer. In the address toolbar, tpye 192.168.1.1

Then for the username and password, they're both--admin.

I managed to get into my router settings by entering the ip address into the search engine. I am at my router settings but the password is hidden be a ************* So I can't see it. But I can change the router back to it's factory default settings. What will this do?

Is there an option to deselect or reset the WEP security?

Connect back to the web-based configuration of the router (http://192.168.1.1/ ) and go to the wireless security tab. The key should be in plaintext there. Click on wireless tab then click on wireless security sub-tab you will see there your network key, if the default transmit key is set to 1, that means the set of numbers or letters you see in the key 1 field is your network key.

since I didn't know the username and password it won't let me back in. Is there anyway around this dillema? What if I call linksys? Would they tell me?

username and password is: admin

Yeah, they can help you if you call them directly. But they'll probably tell you the same thing. My router for instance....if I forget the WEP key, I can log into my router (just as how I explained to you) and look in the advanced tab, etc., etc. The WEP key is right there in plain site. I copy it down with pen and paper. Go back to the Windows Connect to Network window and type that in. Once it's in, you're connected to the Internet. This key will never have to be entered again as long as you don't change your default WEP key.

Back
Top Bottom