Transfer files from my old comp's HardDisk

MadVlrus

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I need a little help here. I've just gotten a new computer, and I was planning to take my old comp's HardDisk (HDD), and burn all the files I needed to a DVD, but a day before I wanted to do that, OS on my old PC got corrupted or something... it freezes when loads windows, whether it is normal or safe mod.

So I tried to just simply take the old HDD and plug it into my new PC, then copy all the files. But for some reason, I am unable to access ''My Documents" on the old HDD. It says:
"E:\Documents and Settings\MadVirus" is not accessible. Access is denied"

and also for some reason it tells me that that folder is empty... 0 bytes! :eek:

So could someone please explain to me:
1) How can I copy "My Documents" from my old comp's HDD?
2) How come it shows me that the folder is 0 bytes? :confused: \

Thx

I would either run an antivirus and see if that deletes any virus or malware from blocking your access. and then go ahead and copy my documents. if that doesnt work try Windows Explorer and try to get to My Doc from there.

I would either run an antivirus and see if that deletes any virus or malware from blocking your access. and then go ahead and copy my documents. if that doesnt work try Windows Explorer and try to get to My Doc from there.
I've tried the Windows Explorer, it didn't work. :S

I don't think it is virus, my comp has been feeling worse and worse over the past 3 or 4 years, the end had to come one day. :( :p

I'll have anotehr try starting it.... if I boot the Windows XP CD and say 'repair''... will it delete all the files? Or just simply reinstall Windows with allt he files intact? :confused:

OK, I know what you need to do, I just need to know if you are using XP or Vista on your new computer.

the my documents folder in both xp and vista is protected so that only the user account that it belongs to can access it.

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 on my new comp and Windows XP Pro SP2 on my old one as well...

So I log in as Admin in safe mode? Ok lets try that. :D

I am using Windows XP Pro SP2 on my new comp and Windows XP Pro SP2 on my old one as well...

So I log in as Admin in safe mode? Ok lets try that. :D

Yes, you do need to be in safemode. Right click the "documents and settings" folder on your old hard drive, and click properties.

On the security tab, click "advanced". On one of the tabs that comes up on the next screen you should be able to click a "Change Ownership" button. Change the owner to the Administartor group. Then you are all set.

HOREAY! I've done it! Sry for not posting for 2 days, had other things to do... but I've DONE IT!!!! :D :D :D

Thanks guys! :D

Back
Top Bottom