What Does Hyperthreading do?

it is the rated FSB of the intel cpu's. for example a E6600 HT bus is 1066mhz, but since its quad pumped its actually only 266mhz. it is just like Hyper Transport, which is what amd has.

EDIT:
usually doesnt make a difference in performance, ive cranked my HT bus on my AMD all the way down to 2x from 5x and my benchmarks were the same in CPU Queen

Hyperthreading is the wannabe-dual core
absolutely no difference between non-HT P4's and HT P4's, in performance - even though supposedly, Adobe PHotohsop and Premiere and such "take advantage" of it

my P4 3.0 HT blows

It's pretty interesting how this works. What hyperthreading does it that it essentially fools the OS into thinking it's hooked up to two CPUs, allowing two threads to run parallel to each other, both on separate "logical" or virtual processors (however you want to call it) within the same physical CPU. The OS sees double through a mix of shared, partitioned chip resources, such as registers, and cache memory.

Hyperthreading is the wannabe-dual core
absolutely no difference - even though supposedly, Adobe PHotohsop and Premiere and such "take advantage" of it

my P4 3.0 HT blows

that statement is completely untrue. intel has NEVER EVER pretened that P4's with HT can stand up to dual cores, not even Pentium D's with half the speed.

also a 3.0 P4 doesnt blow, its actually pretty good. people just have really high standards. consider your self lucky to have that. im writing this on a 2.66ghz celeron, 256mb ram, with 64mb of it turbocached for onboard graphics!

although my gaming mahcine rocks!

that statement is completely untrue. intel has NEVER EVER pretened that P4's with HT can stand up to dual cores, not even Pentium D's with half the speed.

also a 3.0 P4 doesnt blow, its actually pretty good. people just have really high standards. consider your self lucky to have that. im writing this on a 2.66ghz celeron, 256mb ram, with 64mb of it turbocached for onboard graphics!

although my gaming mahcine rocks!

I MEANT theres no diff between P4 3 without HT and with HT - sorry. AND

i didnt say INTEL said that it could stand up to dual cores, im saying that it has the potential for nooba$$ owners to pretend it can stand up to dual cores.

6f4tjqq.jpg

part of being less helpful on CF includes criticizing everything that people have, even if it means making a hypocritical statement (as i am doing ) saying the P4HT blows.

however, i'm being honest when saying i really don't like mine - it sucks at rendering things, saving big things, editing 1080p, playing 1080p even

That's actually a pretty good logo design. You should change it to say, "We're less helpful than your dog". Ketchup packet is kind of off.

Back
Top Bottom