Home Networking Problem *REPS*

~NeonFire372~

Golden Master
I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium and I have a dialup connection and I want to share it with my XBOX 360. I tried plugging the 360 ethernet cord into my laptop while enabling ICS and keeping the dialup connection active but it rendered my laptop's use of the dialup connection unusable until I went and disabled ICS. Why can't I use my own internet connection on the host computer with ICS enabled? Am I doing something wrong? Is there another better way to link my XBOX 360 to my internet connection for sharing music and downloading XBLA games?

Do you have a cross over cable? or just a regular cat5e cable?

Edit: yay 2000 posts.

What's the difference between a crossover cable and the normal cable? Will it fit in my XBOX 360's ethernet port and my laptop's?

a crossover cable can connect a computer to a computer w\o a router.

most cables you buy are straight through unless they say there crossover, your 360 should have came with a cable that is white and crossover

here is the actual difference
T568B_scheme_opt.jpg

also, connecting your 360 via dial up isnt possible i dont think. even if it is you wont be able to play online, your ping will be too high, and 360's tend to use a lot bandwidth than a regular pc. you will be able to see news and stuff but not much else.

a crossover cable can connect a computer to a computer w\o a router.

To be correct, a crossover cable is a cable where the transmit pin on one end of the jack connects to the receive jack on one end of the jack. In a straight-thru cable, transmit goes to transmit and receive goes to receive. They are physically the same size and shape.

Crossover cables are used to connect similar equipment together, for example two computers or two switches.

AFAIK, you can't use Xbox Live or anything like that on a non-broadband connection. So don't waste your money if you have dial up.

he can try, he has basically turned his dial-up connection into a broadband connection through that router(not with the speeds of course) it will be slow but its worth a shot. im not sure if its worth the money to buy a XBL account though, but i know you get a free 1 month with your 360

Back
Top Bottom