64bit Vista.

I plan to get 2gb memory now, and then hope to double it in 12 to 18 months. So what's the point in getting 32bit now, then having to get 64bit in a years time when 64bit seems to be stable and run fine now?

The ONLY reason why I got the 32-bit version of Vista was because at the time, drivers were rare. I got it way back in January when it barely came out. Actually, I got mine before anyone got theirs because of my work.

Otherwise, I would get 64-bit Vista. 32-bit is the standard now (so you really have no choice here unless you go up to 64-bit).

If you want Vista, it's 32-bit. For the enthusiast, 64-bit is the way to go.

FOr some reason, the 64-bit Vista only sees 2GB of RAM max. depending on the motherboard. When you install the OS make sure that you don't have more than 2GB of RAM installed. You'll probably run into some trouble. There is a fix you'll have to download from Microsoft first, then install as much ram as you like.

How much RAM do you have in your system? ^^^

my brother is running vista fine on 512mb, 64mb intergrated video, 1.7ghz Pentium M.

idling he is using ~65% ram usage, but he is running 32 bit, dont know if it makes much of a difference though.

How much memory vista uses I think also depends on if you have AERO enabled, amount of gadgets and the type of programs you're running like: Photoshop, CAD, Games etc will use more memory then say, basic office software perhaps would?

I have to clarify further on the 4GB+ RAM support for Vista 64-bit version. Let's see if this can be broken down this way. Applications running on Windows Vista 64 bit Edition will experience improved performance because of the larger quantity of available memory. Much like the advantage offered by increasing physical memory in a 32-bit system, the larger memory space on Vista 64-bit allows more processes to actively reside in the system RAM simultaneously.

This change potentially eliminates or reduces the time spent on loading and switching between processes, a condition that can lead to what we call--“thrashing”. It's when all the processor's efforts are spent merely loading and switching between threads. To reap the benefits of a 64-bit OS, you should invest in a large amount of RAM (4 GB or more) as Webheade suggested, and a compatible motherboard. Some motherboards have yet to support 64-bit with a 4GB+ RAM upgrade so watch for that.

Back
Top Bottom