new hdd have some questions

thanks you guys are very helpful which is why i have one more question
i installed the new hdd onto my motherboard but it doesnt show up in my computer do i have to format or something, where do i go?

Is it recognised in the bios? You'll need to go in and under drives make sure it is there, then in Windows it will need to be initialised and formatted, if you still can't see it in Windows after it is detected in the bios format it via booting from the XP cd.

^^He is right, but you do not need to boot off of the XP CD to format it. In the run bar, type "diskmgmt.msc" from there you can initialize, and format your new drive.

ok guys the bios recognizes the new hdd but when i go into disk management and right click on the new hdd theres no format option...what do i do click on new partition?

do you have a higher res pic, I can't read anything on that one.

Try a reboot then go back into disk management and see if the format option is available

Good old magic reboot

;)

EDIT: I have to go out for 30 odd minutes, will check this thread when I get back.

Untitled2.jpg

i will try the reboot

**EDIT**
i tried rebooting but it still says the same thing man maybe i should try the partitioning

lol, you need to partition (create one) before you can format mate.

Partition then format, I would have told you earlier if I could have seen the pic

yea thats what i was thinking because it made more sense anyway should i use file and folder compression, what does it do, compress files and folders?

I don't think I've ever used it to be honest, I guess that is the function of it.

A quick Google reveals that that is indeed the purpose of it, if you think you'll need then I suggest you read up before applying, otherwise don't bother using it. (I don't as I just buy a bigger disk if I fill one up)

:D

Back
Top Bottom