Dead Computer

REGNARTS_

Baseband Member
Hello.
I have a pretty old computer (aprox. 5 years). 1.6gig P4.

HERE'S WHAT I DID:

I took the 56k modem pci out. After I took it out, it worked fine. When I put it back in and pressed the power button, it won't even turn on (no flicker, nothing). Also, when I took the modem out, the little screw that screwed the card to the slot was dropped and got stuck underneath at the edge of the motherboard. I poked at the motherboard a few times to get the screw out and finally got it out. The poking was soft and there was no physical damage to the motherboard as far as I can see. I reseated all cables inside and seems like the power supply is working fine because, I can see an LED light come on and off on the mobo if I plug and unplug the power cable and the ethernet port LED light is lit up.

By poking at the edge of the mobo just to pry the screw out can damage the whole power supply? Could it be the internal lithium battery? I ran out of options. Any suggestions would help. Thanks in advance.

taking your modem out should not damage your motherboard at all.
Maybe the problem is your power button itself ?

Is there a way I can turn it on from the motherboard without having to press the power button on the front?

well, if your willing enough you could use a piece of wire or soemthing to join together the two jumpers that the power switch connects to, and just leave it until the fans start up the take it away.

You probobly accidentally unplugged the PWR SW wire.

I accidentally unplugged the SATA cable from my HD accidentally today and I was freaking out about it when it didnt recognize a boot drive XD

^ I Have done that before with my music drive,man that was scary as i dont back up anything lol.Did you trying switching the computer on while the screw was there,it might have shorted the mother board out.

^ I Have done that before with my music drive,man that was scary as i dont back up anything lol.Did you trying switching the computer on while the screw was there,it might have shorted the mother board out.

That and maybe he didnt ground himself and completely zapped his mobo :rolleyes:

hehe I made sure the PWR SW was plugged in. I didn't turn on the computer while the screw were in there only after I have taken the screw out.. grrrr.. zapping a mobo huh? LOL.. not good then..

Yeah, you could have had static electric build up in ur body and if you didnt touch a piece of grounded metal than you very well could have fried your mobo :/

Back
Top Bottom