New Microsoft Operating System Every 2 Years?

and why not release every two years?

~92 windows 3.1 came out (everyone upgraded)
this was updated as windows for work groups
~95 wnidows 95 came out (everyone upgraded)
~98 windows 98 came out (everyone upgraded)
mid ninety's windows NT3 came out (business upgraded)
late 90'3 windows NT4 was release (all business upgraded again)
~2000 windows 2000 was released (most business upgraded / few home users upgraded)
~2000 windows ME was released (most people avoided like the plague)
2001 (last qtr) windows XP was released now everyone has upgraded

Microsoft have been successfully releasing and selling OS's on a roughly 2 year basis... so why couldn't they release a new update roughly each year??

You can't look at it the you posted, back than their was a buisness OS and a home OS. Now they are the same thing.

Also a large percent of companys still run Windows 2000, not everyone upgraded to XP.

alright..the reason they can't i repeat cannot make another OS every 2 years is because of vista. vista still has quite a few flaws and backward compatibility issues. its kinda pointless to release another OS when there are alot of flaws in their current OS's they have already released. And windows Vienna? what the hell is it going to be like? even more like a mac? LOL MAC

back then the os's had big updates, like like the whole 98>2000 thing. dos to NT was a big move.
now they are struggling to add new things, i mean vista has new features, but nothing major

A big thing as well is the hardware required to run it , like between XP and vista minimum requirements have gone up quite a bit which is to be expected i guess

but if they did this every 2 years i dont think many home users are going to want to be buying a new computer every 2 years do they, i mean gamers and entusiasts proabably will be updating there hardware more often than that anyway but most home users dont upgrade their pc's that often cos they dont need to , i know some people still using computers from 5 and even more years ago and arent needing to upgrade soon as they still do the required jobs

this is also very true. not everyone will wanna upgrade their hardware every two years to fit the new OS smoothly running, if that makes sense.

A big thing as well is the hardware required to run it , like between XP and vista minimum requirements have gone up quite a bit which is to be expected i guess

but if they did this every 2 years i dont think many home users are going to want to be buying a new computer every 2 years do they, i mean gamers and entusiasts proabably will be updating there hardware more often than that anyway but most home users dont upgrade their pc's that often cos they dont need to , i know some people still using computers from 5 and even more years ago and arent needing to upgrade soon as they still do the required jobs

Very true not everyone has the money to upgrade that othen and if you are building a new pc from scratch not only do you have the price of the hardware to consider you also have to fork out for the OS which Microsoft charge insane amounts for (if that make sense).

atm i just dont see what else they can add to vista that would require a computer upgrade (providing you have a decent enough pc now)

Very true not everyone has the money to upgrade that othen and if you are building a new pc from scratch not only do you have the price of the hardware to consider you also have to fork out for the OS which Microsoft charge insane amounts for (if that make sense).

tbh not everyone would need a new system every two years either ,i know some people who have still have old systems llike 4 and 5 years old and they still suit them perfectly well untill now when they want to run vista

Back
Top Bottom