This concerns me...

Jeez that was something else, an actual live link to Car Audios.com & see what members were discussing, it was weird, at first I thought it was fictional but no, it was interactive, did anyone else notice this???....how did you do that??:eek:

Hmm? He just linked us to a forum...

As to Arrizx, I agree. I would absolutely love custom sigs... but I guess we can't have everything.

who cares, its a good example.

i think i got my point across.

i was just explaining that i think thats what brook was trying to say.

i thought it was a good example, but apparently he doesnt, its either really sarcastic or just plain weird.

well i think with a majority of members who join here, they join because they have a certain question or problem they want help with, and after they've had that help or solved their problem they don't come back as regular members simply because they don't want to.

Meanwhile, other new members may come here with a question, then find that they like the place for the people etc and deice to come back as frequent members.

So i think IMO most people who don't stay, don't stay because they came to have their questions answered and no more.

Hence the endless amounts of users who joined perhaps some while ago and have only 3-4 posts each.

:)
Very good point:)

I have had a quick look at the Members List.

On the first page alone, literally everyone joined in 2004 and have had no posts whatsoever. They are all variations of the same user name, I think this may have been some kind of bot or automated script. I have no way of getting the exact numbers in terms of such accounts but I feel it could stretch into the thousands.

I have used the vBulletin Administrator Control Panel before some years ago when helping out a friend, and I remember an option whereby you can prune user accounts. Why not just delete everyone with zero posts using this? It was also possible to run custom SQL queries using the same Control Panel, and using this will offer further flexibility in what data gets removed.

Seeing as these accounts stretch back well over three years and have never posted once, I would happily bet a small sum of money on them never ever returning and becoming full time members. These accounts should be purged in my opinion, for two reasons:

1) Having the same number of active members but lowering the number of total members makes this site look more successful, busy and active; having 37 out of 6000 members online looks better than 14 out of 22 000, out of these 22 000 about 5000 (at a rough guess) have never ever posted and joined years ago

2) The site database is no doubt bloated to some extent with these unused accounts; pruning these accounts will keep it more manageable and take up less space on the server, as well as making access times faster due to having to check fewer rows when searching etc.

3) As they have never posted it will do no harm to the integrity of the actual table containing posts from members and it will, as such, not inadvertantly disrupt the flow of any older threads dating from the same era that people may stumple across.

Obviously this is just my opinion, but if I was running this forum or a forum of similar size it is definitely something I would at least consider.
May I just say something about your point deleting those with zero points, when I was a mod I suggested this too, but David pointed out to me that it would be impractical to do this, you're right, there are thousands who either make no posts at all or just 2, 3, 4, in over two years, I believe this site came into existence three years ago & we have around 25,000 members+ on that list, it would be a colossal job to do that, if not impossible & that's a darn shame as it would in my opinion too to clear out the dross, but IMO it'll never be done.

May I just say something about your point deleting those with zero points, when I was a mod I suggested this too, but David pointed out to me that it would be impractical to do this, you're right, there are thousands who either make no posts at all or just 2, 3, 4, in over two years, I believe this site came into existence three years ago & we have around 25,000 members+ on that list, it would be a colossal job to do that, if not impossible & that's a darn shame as it would in my opinion too to clear out the dross, but IMO it'll never be done.

why can't each mod delete say 10 per day?..couple months and the job will be done

Back
Top Bottom