Boot Up Issues

Enix82

Baseband Member
Please look at my sig for computer specs.

During the past month I have been experiencing issues when booting up my computer. I hit the power on button on the chassis and the lights, fans, and internal components attempt to start up; however, they stop as if all power is cut off to them within 2 seconds. This is a cycle that repeats itself over and over in these 2 second intervals from the time I press POWER. I then cut off ALL power to my computer and try again until it loads properly. The computer works fine and I experience no problems after I get it to boot.

Today was the day where I could not fix the problem with luck as I had been. I have thought for a while it could be my PSU (see sig), so I removed the PSU and replaced it with a stock 420w PSU from another case. Much to my surprise, the computer booted and loaded properly on the first try.

I patted myself on the shoulders and boxed up my OCZ Powerstream and got the RMA ready. But I decided to experiment a bit more with the new PSU. I began to power the computer on and off, but I notice now it goes through 1 cycle of attempting to boot then powering down, just as described above. However, it has been booting up fine after this 1 cycle of powering up and down. This leads me to believe there are other underlining issues.

So basically I have a computer that is attempting to power on but quickly powers down and begins this endless loop. I switched out the PSU and find a short reprieve; however, the new PSU is beginning to exhibit the symptons of this endless power up and down loop. Also note the computer NEVER shows any signs of problems when it is running, doing task and running programs. The temps and volts readings are always satisfactory.

Possible problems are...?

Problem is getting worse. With the switched out PSU, the rig was working perfect. I powered it down and attempted to reboot; however, I'm not even getting fans to spin now like it was before. The Abit an8 32x mobo is not attempting to power up at all now; I simply get post codes, [.F][ ], [ ] [.1], and [.8][.3] in that order. It switches to 83 very quickly before starting over. Arrgh.

No ideas? The rig is almost a year old. I've RMA'd everything I could; the memory, mobo and PSU. I am certain the problem rests in one of those units.

I've had this problem and it turned out to be the m/board.

I know the "power on loop", it surges the resets, surges then resets.

If I ran the ram at the default bios settings (DDR400 at 2.5-4-4-8) it would boot, as soon as I changed the timings to the ram default (2.5-3-3-7) the power on loop would commence, in a way you are correct that it is a power issue but I think you'll find the issue is the board instead of the psu.

Did you get a test result report when the board came back from RMA?

Back
Top Bottom