What is a Router - I think I need one

RKeaton

Baseband Member
Hi

I have a pc at home with hi-speed internet provided by Cox. I just got a roommate and want him to be able to get online using a laptop in his bedroom.

So I need a router, yes?

If so, can you recommend a good one? I just mean something that does the job. Doesn't have to be the most expensive (duh).

Thanks!

oh and if there are any tricks to using them let me know that too, please. thanks again

Yes, you need a "wireless" router. If his laptop already has built in wireless support, you're all set once the wireless router is connected. Internet is instant, unless your network is secured (in which case, he needs the password to get in).

LINKSYS WRT54G IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G Broadband Router - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010

Cox I assume is cable. Setup the wireless router in your room where the cable modem sits. Connect the Wan cable from the cable modem to the Internet port on the back of the wireless router (or something like that). But you have to have them connected together regardless. That's it. If your roommates has build in wireless laptop, he will be able to get in in a snap.

If you're running wireless too, then you're set to go. If you don't have wireless support for your PC, just connect the ethernet cable from the back of your PC to the back of that wireless router. Instant connection.

Very useful info, thank you.

The model you mentioned has a fair number of iffy reviews on newegg but there's a similar one (just add an L to the model #) that is ten bucks more and got a lot fewer bad reveiws. I'll probably go with that one I guess.

There are a lot of mentions about the firmware and upgrading to 'aftermarket firmware'. I don't know what that's all about but I guess if it gives me any problems I'll investigate.

Thanks again.

Yeah i've had a WRT54G for almost 2 years and it works perfectly still.

Sometimes it might have to be periodically reset or unplugged for a little...other than that it works perfectly. Setup is easy, just type in your default gateway in a browser to set it up.

Dont use the supplied CD it doesn't really work right and its hard to edit.

For those people that gave it a bad review, looks like there may be problems with their ISP or they screwed up upgrading the firmware. I did that too when I use to own a D-Link wireless router. It was a great little device, but I locked myself out while upgrading the firmware. But it was beyond repair unless they have a backup utility to flash it or actually replace the ROM chip which in most case, you simply have to buy a new router :p.

I still have that Linksys router I linked you. It has never given me any problems eitther. Since we have Fios, Verizon have their own router/modem integrated. So it's packed away.

For those people that gave it a bad review, looks like there may be problems with their ISP or they screwed up upgrading the firmware. I did that too when I use to own a D-Link wireless router. It was a great little device, but I locked myself out while upgrading the firmware. But it was beyond repair unless they have a backup utility to flash it or actually replace the ROM chip which in most case, you simply have to buy a new router :p.

I still have that Linksys router I linked you. It has never given me any problems eitther. Since we have Fios, Verizon have their own router/modem integrated. So it's packed away.

Yeah firmware upgrades on a WRT54G, well you don't really have to worry, takes maybe a few minutes and always works.

I would get the router that was linked. I set one of those up, and all problems seem to be road Runner related, as we get the random drops here too, on a D-link Router.

It is fairly user friendly. The setup CD that comes with it can help you set everything up if you do not feel comfortable doing it normally.

Back
Top Bottom