swapping motherboard and cpu please?

mrjetskey

Baseband Member
Is it possible to replace a motherboard and processor,leaving xp installed on hd?without having to reformat hd.,and re-install xp,or can you take a hd. from one computer and just install and boot off of it in a new computer?I have never tried and am wanting to upgrade my intel cpu,andMB. it is because I have a dell p4 630 in a 8400 series and it would be nice if I could just swap mb and cpu as I have a decent vid.card.and 2 g. of ddr2 mem.6400,So it would be cost effective ,if this wont work,I'll wait until I just buy new comp.THank you in advance,Have A great Day!!!

Thank you so much I knew there had to be an easier way than dumping and reformating windows,since my win xp pro is from dell will it figure out that since I changed MB.and proc. that its a different computer or will it still be ok.that was the main worry i had,is windows seeing its diff. mb and cpu and saying wait youre not regestered in here to me so out you go!!!I* know windows has a work around where you can change a file and get it reg. again but I dont want to if I dont have to. Thank you guys so much!!!Marvin

Back
Top Bottom