Beta member
Alright, my wife won a (old)used computer from work. I hooked it
up for her and can't log into windows. Comes up with a un/pw box
asking for a password and the domain box is already filled in and you
can't change it. Is there any way we can get around this. If so I can
then go to the Reg and delete what I need or go to user accounts and
remove it there. Does anyone know how to get past this without reinstalling
windows

Are you trying to use this machine stand-alone or have you hooked it up to another LAN and need to change the domain settings to allow it to connect to that?

NT4.0 is old (older than Windows 95, in actual fact), and is not suited for home users anyway due to its construction with networking and corporate use in mind. Depending on the specifications of the machine, I could recommend upgrading it to a slightly newer operating system.

However, I need further information about your use of the machine before I can give you further information. It sounds to me like you want to be using the computer's local Administrator account to override the domain settings and gain full, local access to the machine. The local Administrator account will enable you to remove settings such as the domain (which is why you are seeing the domain log in box, the computer expects a domain and is designated to connect to one).

chances are the admin account and stuff are locked. any access to the bios?

It's configured for domain use only. You're going to have to re-format, unless you can gain access to the domain, and change the group policy.

It's configured for domain use only. You're going to have to re-format, unless you can gain access to the domain, and change the group policy.

He can also reset the local admin password. Not worth the trouble as NT4 is uselessly outdated.

Back
Top Bottom