Deny User Access

Kalgatha

Fully Optimized
My teacher in my E.A.S.T. class wants to deny each students access to other students folders. I don't know much about servers, but more than she does >.< She has all the Users under a "user" group, and close to a hundred users in it. Each user has a folder. I tried to deny access to the whole user group and set each user as the creator/owner. but that didn't work. anyhelp would be appreciated b/c i don't know what the hell im doin! Thanx guys

do you not have a network admin? sounds like a hackers dream.
go to start>run>gpedit.msc and look for any suitable permissions.
if that fails you can manually set the permissions on each folder (may take a while)
other than that i dont know, im not that good with servers. wheres DJ-CHRIS when you need him

do you not have a network admin? sounds like a hackers dream.
go to start>run>gpedit.msc and look for any suitable permissions.
if that fails you can manually set the permissions on each folder (may take a while)
other than that i dont know, im not that good with servers. wheres DJ-CHRIS when you need him

I'm here.

You have the right idea by restricting the NTFS permissions.

I can help you more, but I need to know more. I'll add you on AIM. EDIT: Your not their, just message djchrisremixtk on AIM.

Also by default, the creator owner in an active directory based system is administrators or the profile creator. This is a great idea, but doesn't work.

She should begin by giving the Administrators user group access to all folders, but this should be this way by default.

This is all the information I can give you without further information, I am afraid to say. I will echo what DJ-CHRIS said and the need to ensure the NTFS permissions are correct and that no other user groups are given access to the folders other than the Administrators user group.

You have the right idea except if you deny somebody access to something then that will cancel out the allows that you give them. So because you denied the user group access then even if they do have the right to enter the folder the deny will stop them.

Wow thats really hard to put into words

PM if you don't understand

if you explicitly deny in windows then people are denied.

the obvious example should be to set deny access to everyone then allow access to the student, and then teacher.

however, as I said above in windows rthe security applying order is allow then deny, so you may allow someone but if you deny to everyone, that's applied afterwards and takes presidence.

the trick is that in windows, if you don't explicitly grant access to something then it's assumed that you mean deny access.

take the permissions for everyone, and users off of the folder, if possible only leave the folder with permissions to be viewed by the student / teach / admin if necessary, then all the other students will be restricted as well.

it's likely that the current setup is everyone can see the root folder where their individual folders are stored, and below that all the individual folders inherit directory security, (turn off inherit security as well!)

yea the windows permissions thing is a bit silly. took me a while to set it up just on my home pc.
btw enjoy the 4 bars root, you deserve it, good post :)

In my school, they use a system call altiris or something like that. Crtl + Shift + f and guess the password. ;D It should give you some permission to do things. Or, you can do a few other things -wink wink- and adjust your permission. But you have to know what your doing :x.

i heard some schools use securus
which is meant to be damn good. i also heard if you do anything bad, like type the word "f**k" into a word doc it logs you out :eek: that would suck

Back
Top Bottom