Does microsoft have a monopoly?

BrynF_UK

Fully Optimized
Ive just read now on the BBC website that schools are being recommended not to sign licensing agreements with Microsoft over school software by some nameless think tank of the government, because of Microsoft's alleged bad practices.

But, how can anyone blame Microsoft for giving people what they want? Its not their fault that few other companies have bothered to create alternatives of a similar quality to Microsoft software. Its crazy that they fined Microsoft for doing best what a company is designed to do. offer a service that people want and will pay for.

Damned political correctness again. :mad:

Yeah microsoft has a monopoly but who cares? I like windows and as long as it's there I'll keep using it. I do think some of Microsoft's products like Office are over priced but they're very good. They have a good practice I think, they sell products people want and people buy them. Same with alternatives like Linux, they're available on the internet and if people don't like microsoft they can go download linux or even get a mac. Nobody is forcing us to use Microsoft. Gosh political correctness bugs the heck outta me and I think it's destroying everything in its path.

<<The outstanding issues centre on the limitations Microsoft places on schools using its subscription licensing arrangements, the agency says.
Becta's advice to schools considering moving to Microsoft's School Agreement subscription licensing model is that they should not do so.
It reminds schools they are legally obliged to have licensed software, but suggests they use instead what is known as "perpetual licensing".
This gives the permanent right to use the software and requires no ongoing payments beyond the purchase price. >>

They are just warning about the type of agreement they sign. What's wrong with trying to save money?

Yeah microsoft has a monopoly but who cares? I like windows and as long as it's there I'll keep using it. I do think some of Microsoft's products like Office are over priced but they're very good. They have a good practice I think, they sell products people want and people buy them. Same with alternatives like Linux, they're available on the internet and if people don't like microsoft they can go download linux or even get a mac. Nobody is forcing us to use Microsoft. Gosh political correctness bugs the heck outta me and I think it's destroying everything in its path.
I agree. Office 2007 is a great piece of software despite it's price.

NO

there is mac\linux\open office\etc. there is NO monopoly, i dont see where people get these claims.

I would say they have a monopoly. However, they have the monopoly because people like them. If they did not have good products, they would not have the monopoly. They are nothing like the monopolies of the early 1900's here in the US.

a monopoly is where your the ONLY business that sells similar products. yeah most people buy there software, but thats not a monoply, thats just a great business.

if a competing business is doing better. TOUGH COOKIES.:p

They were accussed at one time in the past though because of IE being integrated with Windows. Whole bunch of other companies that designed web browsers didn't like that.

there was still other browsers, so its not a monopoly. i dont see how you can get a monopoly out having having just one browser inside of windows.

Back
Top Bottom