Old Compaq Fixing

NeciFiX

In Runtime
Last winter when I tried to install Windows XP Home my Intel Pentium 3, 933 MHz, 512 MB of RAM, 80 GB HDD computer froze up, it would not boot into XP. Microsoft's Puerto Rican helpers were no help. A computer tech told me a "motherboard chip fried" (it still turns on, jackass). After seeing that many computer techs don't know what they are doing, I decided I could maybe still revive this PC for Linux or something. Any clues?

I get a partition error or something when I try to turn it on (that is, the last time it was on) and it would simply not boot up, no matter what I did. I had Windows XP on it years ago and it ran solid, but, now... it just doesn't work. Any suggestions? It won't boot into Windows, I get a partition error. The comp tech guy said he replaced the HDD with a Windows XP and back to ME but that wasn't it so it must be the motherboard. Any ideas?

In case you didn't read it, I said the computer guy switched the hard drive with a XP one, and two ME ones. No results.

dogey ram maybe? try running a memtest

if not just get hold of a linux disc and try that, after all its a completely different os, but i dont see why xp should crash like that, but its worth a go

When ever your computer doesnt do what you know it should do, run memtest 86+.

It should always be your first port of call.

dogey ram maybe? try running a memtest

if not just get hold of a linux disc and try that, after all its a completely different os, but i dont see why xp should crash like that, but its worth a go

You know what it's windows XP.... What do you expect?

When ever your computer doesnt do what you know it should do, run memtest 86+.

It should always be your first port of call.

I agree... It will diagnose it for you.

Are you sure it's not a graphics problem?

It's video memory. The hard drive just won't partition. I could replace the two 256 MB Sticks with the original 128 MB it was shipped with and try that later.

What the hell... laptop? What...? o_O... where the devil did you get the idea it was a laptop?

That crossed my mind, but, it'd be slow as hell considering the processor is 933 MHz. I'd rather do Linux.

Back
Top Bottom