I think my ps3 hard drive is screwed

Tommy Boy

Golden Master
I was playing a game on my ps3 and all of a sudden it froze up, holding the power button didn't turn it off and the controller button wouldn't turn it off so I flipped the power switch in the back. I flip it back on and try to start the ps3, after a few seconds it comes up with an error screen that says "cannot start, the correct hard disk was not found".

Has the hard drive crashed on me? It did start up once a little while after that, but it wouldn't read a game or anything, but I could scroll through all the menus and options, and the saved data was all still there but it froze up again, I did the same as before and got the same error again.

I've only had it for a little over a month

Any insight into this is much appreciated.........I'm seriously bummed out.

Yeah, replace it while you can from where you bought it. The guarantee should still be fine.

If you don't want to do that, any hard drive is loadable on the PS3.

If you can, back up your files as I think it gives the option to, using an external drive

Yeah, replace it while you can from where you bought it. The guarantee should still be fine.

If you don't want to do that, any hard drive is loadable on the PS3.

If you can, back up your files as I think it gives the option to, using an external drive
It won't boot up, now it just freezes on the opening screen right after where it says "sony entertainment" or whatever, it freezes on those wave things. Won't do anything after that.

Try swapping to a new hard drive to test if it fixes the problem. I'm not sure whether you can simply drop a new one in, but it shouldn't be that hard.

hmm.....it works now.....

I let it sit for a bit and now it works......weird. At least I know the hard drive didn't crash.

maybe its overheating, are you giving it enough breathing room, its got some really high end hardware too cool ;)

maybe its overheating, are you giving it enough breathing room, its got some really high end hardware too cool ;)
Yeah, I think so, maybe I'll go buy one of those ps3 intercoolers just to be safe.

The thing was though, when it froze up, I hadn't been playing it more than 10 mins and when it started working again it hadn't really had time to cool off.

Edit: I just tried to play again and after about 10-15 mins it froze up and won't work again.......arghhh

I wouldn't buy one of the intercooler things. I've read about them burning up the USB ports on 360's I wouldn't take a chance with it on a PS3.

Also, the PS3 will let you know if it's overheating by a red light on the front or something, it's in the manual.

Back
Top Bottom