PC Power problem

which came first the chicken or the egg? or in this case the fried psu and fried cpu lol my guess is that the psu overloaded or something which fried the cpu and the psu fried itself - but good to hear its not your motherboard. Maybe you could claim the cpu from the psu's warranty if that was the cause of the problem in the first place??

haha, I still don't know if it is my motherboard. If the "beep" that sounds when the RAM is taken out is supposed to come from the speakers, that beep is probably being silenced at the moment from the computer screaming "no CPU installed, no CPU installed"

Ahh, MSi's great inventionn. It actually outputs the problem. Yours, being no CPU installed aka a dead CPU.

So I got my new CPU in the mail today, plugged the sucker in (and it does seem like I'm the one that damaged my old CPU because the pins on the underside are pretty bent), and now when I turn on the PC and turn on the speakers, the message being played is "system failed VGA test." So, I'm guessing my graphics card crapped out.

So just to get some feedback, here are the specs of my PC when it was working:

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2.2GHz Socket 939
CORSAIR XMS 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)
ATI X800 Pro PCI-Express

I used to play games, but not anymore, I do media encoding and whatnot, so I just wanted my PC to just get up and running with as little money as possible and bought an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 939 CPU for $63 (newegg doesn't sell the 4400 anymore, and the next available was the 4800+ 939 processor - $119 - which cost just as much as a 5200+ AM2 chipset but that would have meant that I would have to buy a new motherboard).

So, lets say that I buy a cheap graphics card (I'm eyeing a 8600 GT for $79), is there still a chance that the motherboard itself is messed up? Because if there is still a chance that my motherboard is messed up, I'm basically building a new computer, and if I'm going to build a new computer I might as well just return the cpu I just bought and build a decent computer. Thanks again guys.

EDIT: I just bought the 8600 card online, I guess we'll see soon enough whether the motherboard is messed up or not.

8600 came, computer works just fine. Another problem that arose was I forgot to put thermal paste on the cpu, so I took off my heat sink, applied the thermal paste and in the process of attaching the heat sink, my heat sink broke....my problems never cease, but thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom