NEED HELP, overheating issue

My dad tought me to sand the bottom of the heatsink then fit the processor.....
it's called lapping ;)

You start off with a reasonably rough grit wet and dry paper say ~1000 grit (rougher if the surface is obviously concave) and slowly work your way through successive grits (1200, 1500, 2000) until the base of the heatsink (top of the cpu) is a mirror finish, it is best to do it on a sheet of glass because glass is a truely flat surface (well, flat enough for this)

If I was the op I'd try it on the stock heatsink first.

There are plenty of lapping tutorials on the net.

Lapping can give some good results. It usually is more of a problem with Intel, because the Core 2's have a rep for being concave. I got about 4-5 degrees off a crappy lap job on the heatsink and CPU.

Alright thanks to everyone for their help. I just ended up going to Micro Center as a last ditch effort and bought a new heatsink. I got the Thermaltake V1
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106102
$65 is a pretty good deal for instore, considering newegg is 5 bucks cheaper and their shipping is 6 bucks. Anyways, took the mobo out, installed it, and now im idling at 32degC and under 100% load its maxing at 49degC. For me this is awesome, since i was idling around 42-45degC before, which is way high. I hope after the break in period im down in the twenties idle. Anyways i can highlight a few things i learned from this:

1) CHEAP IS NOT GOOD! haha pretty much the only thing to highlight. the cheapo heatsink i got may have gotten good reviews, but its far from nice. First off, it wasn't copper, the Thermaltake is. The cheap one had a 90mm fan , V1 has a 110 with adjustable speeds (has a flow rate of 87 cuft/min!). The cheapo was also not polished and rough on the bottom, also may have been curved, while my V1 is polished to a mirror and flat. the cheapo's mounting system was awkward and prone to bending while the V1 is solid.

in conclusion, just spend the money and youll avoid breaking objects around your room from anger and frustration.

+1 for quality, good to see you have everything working again. Interesting choice of cooler, I need to read up on that one.

+1 for quality, good to see you have everything working again. Interesting choice of cooler, I need to read up on that one.
Yeah, its weird you say that. I went in there with all intentions of buying a Zalman 120mm CNPS series heatsink, and I had it in my hand. I started talking to the guy that works there, who was very, very knowledgeable, and he recommended the Thermaltake to me, saying that many people have been very happy with it, and its $15 cheaper than the Zalman. He took one out for me, hooked it up to a psu, showed me the airflow, then put it in a case like mine to show me it would fit. With their return policy, I figured I'd trust the guy and give it a shot, and so far, so good.

Back
Top Bottom