NEED HELP, overheating issue

theanomaly1

Solid State Member
Ok so heres the long story:
I decided to buy a new heatsink because I had a stock one and it was running at bit hot. So i put the new heatsink in and it was fine but still running a bit high, so I thought that i put the thermal compound on poorly. So i took of my new heatsink, reapplyed, started back up and everything looked fine. Fine until i played a game, opened a few programs, pretty much ran anything with a cpu usage of over 30%. My cpu would just begin to heat from around 40-43 idle, then over a min or two, run up to the 70s, then shutdown when it hit 80degC. I've reapplyed the thermal compound over ten times now, trying a bit more, a bit less, different ways of spreading it, all while cleaning both sides with rubbing alcohol. I've even tried 3 different types of compounds, and 3 different people have applyed it. The weird thing is when i put my stock heatsink back in, its doing the same thing. When i took my new heatsink off, i noticed that there was no thermal compound residue in the middle, it was like the heatsink was only touching on the outside, which there is not much heat being created compared to the middle. i took the cpu out and reset it back in its slot so see maybe if i dislodged it. and when its running, the metal of the heatsink is room temp, so i can tell that heat isnt being transferred. So i pretty much have no idea why this is happening. I have a few theories and want to know what you all think:

-the new heatsink sucks and the face is not flat (would be a good choice but im having the same problem when i put the old stock one back on)

-i cant apply thermal compound (would be true but i had 2 other do it also)
-mobo bend? (not too sure about this one)

-processor is fucked (why would it be concave all of a sudden?)

-brackets are screwed up (i made sure the screws are tightened good to the mobo, but somehow i think that the heatsink isnt either on the cpu with enough force or somehow the brackets are causing the non-contact issue)

like i said i have no idea, sorry for the long explanation but its a very weird problem. right now i have my stock on back on, idling at about 40degC, but when i put it under load, any load, it spikes back up to 60ish and keeps climbing. im about to go to microcenter and buy a new $60 heatsink cuz the one i got was a cheapo i found on newegg onsale for 20$ (got pretty good ratings so i figured i give it a try). if that doesnt work, ill have to get a new cpu, and then if that dosent work ill try a new mobo. i hope its something stupid that wrong, because ive been killing myself over this issue the last 3 days and i got alot of homework to do on matlab on it.

CLIFFS:
-cpu climbs and wont reach a limit when under load
-not thermal compound issue
-old heatsink creating same issues
-cpu-heatsink interface not completely in contact (some sort of concavity)
-wtf is wrong?

A few things that would help to solve this.
1. What CPU heat sink is this?
2. What CPU are you using?
3. And if you can post some pictures that would be great.

The 3rd one is not needed as much as number 1 and 2 but anyway......
You pretty much said it when you said that the heatsink base was concave.

I have no idea unless I know 1 and 2. :(

sorry meant to put this in

amd x2 4200 cpu
asus a8n-32sli mobo
arctic cooling freezer 64 pro heatsink

after i pull the heatsink off:

dsc00966yc1.jpg

Is that after you cleaned off the Thermal compound?
Also did you make sure that you flipped the lever? If you didn't then its not making contact.

Is that a Brisbane?
If it is you have a f'ed up CPU if not then just RMA that heatsink to newegg.
That HSF is great, this has to be the only bad base compliant i have ever heard for this CPU cooler.
I have it and i would highly suggest you to get another one through RMA of Newegg.
If your next one has a flat base and if its a Brisbane you will get about 25C to 30C's. About the same if its a windsor.
I have this and it is a great HSF.(a 5600+ X2 at 30C idle Great)

Right now I would either RMA and wait a few more days or go to microcenter and get a $60+ Heatsink.
Its up to you but you will like that A64 if you RMA.

yea ive always been idling in the 40s which i know is high but i just didnt care. ive had it for about 15 months now. im really just out of options and im pissed off. the pic is after i removed the heatsink after being on the cpu (yes i have it clamped down). that was using arctic sliver ceramique thermal compound.

its just so weird because my the metal on the heatsink isnt hot at all and my cpu is at like 60, so thats why im definitely thinking its a connection-interracial problem.

Have you ever heard of lapping?

Still doesn't explain why the stock cooler is not working though.

Please explain in detail your methodology for applying TIM including the amount used (pics would be good). If you're putting it in the centre of the cpu and it is not contacting the centre of the heatsink then lapping is the go, but, with the stock cooler no longer working it makes me wonder if the problem doesn't lie elsewhere.

Next time you pull the heatsink off can you take pics of both the cpu and the heatsink without cleaning the compound off.

My dad tought me to sand the bottom of the heatsink then fit the processor. but he told me he used to do that when a i486 dX2 was expensive. I don't know if you want to do that to your new expensive heatsink. lol:) but if you are desperate, it might work.

Back
Top Bottom