Hard Drive temperatures?

Shantei

In Runtime
(First off, sorry for so many recent posts :D)

I'm a little concerned with my hard drives. I just got an installed a new one. The thing is, I couldn't install them too far apart as my other hardware wouldn't allow it, so they're right next to each other, which would seem okay. However, I don't have any fans sucking in air from the front, so no air is being pushed from the hard drives.

dsc00244ao0.jpg

Is anything wrong with this?

What are the normal temperatures for Hard Drives? (The bottom one is 10k rpm)... they're currently running @ 48 (10krpm) and 45.

Thanks!

there fine, HDD's usually dont run into heat issues, but if you run in to consistent stalling and things of that nature it wouldnt hurt to get a HDD cooler(search newegg there is loads)

If there is no air moving around them they can get really hot. I would get some type of HDD cooler or put a fan in front or behind it so hot air doesn't just sit around the drives, especially with a Raptor.

They should be OK, but an intake fan in the future would be the way to go (better for the whole case and probably cheaper than a hdd cooler)

That is too hot for a hard drive to be ideally running. Those temperatures put excessive stress on the hard drive and highly increase it's chance of failure.

Given that the thermal range for a Raptor (I'm assuming his 10k rpm drive is a raptor) is 5 - 55°C he is at the upper end of the scale but still somewhat shy of dangerous temps. That said cooling of some type for the drives should be fairly high on the priority list for sure.

Thanks.

I would get a fan of some sort it's just that it won't fit at the back of my hard drives as there's no room! What am I supposed to do? Also, HD coolers look a little big and may not fit for me.

Do you have room to slide the drives back a little (only use one screw to hold them in?? or do you have a video card or other hardware in the way??

Could you post a pic of the inside of your case? (a pic is worth a thousand words)

Do you have room to slide the drives back a little (only use one screw to hold them in?? or do you have a video card or other hardware in the way??

Could you post a pic of the inside of your case? (a pic is worth a thousand words)

Tis exactly what I tried, however, I need to remove the front of my case in order to properly screw in the fan and I haven'ta clue on how to remove it! It looks long and arduous to me :( .. Oh, I've found a way to keep the HDs one space apart now, so that should cool things down a little.

Are al front cases removed the same way? Because on my it has screws all over and I really don't have much time to bugger around with it all. If I knew the proper way that'd be great :D .. I look at which screw goes where, but vcan't work out whether they're attached to the front or not, it all blends in slightly.

Back
Top Bottom