Networking Laptop and Desktop Comps Question

bakdoor

Solid State Member
I have a laptop and a desktop computer that I'm trying to network. Both comps use xp home. Desktop comp is connected hardwire thru cable modem and then into the Linksys W54G wireless router. Lap top is wireless. Both are connected to the internet correctly and working fine.

What I want to do is to use the laptops 2nd partition to backup the desktop comp. (using N Ghost12)

I have run the network setup wizard on both comps and both computers show in the dir tree under:
My network places/Entire network/MS Windows Network.

If, for example I click on Laptopworkgroup from the Desktop comp, I get the following error:
'Laptopworkgroup is not available' and vice versa.

Not sure if I'm going about this correctly, and I'm stumped as to what to do now.
Thanks for any advice/help

running any firewalls?
can you access the computer by clicking the "view workgroup computers" option?

try turning off the firewalls, if that works then it just needs a bit of tweaking.
also are the computers in the same workgroup?
ive also got 1 other thing you can try if that fails

well, it shouldnt matter that much, but i always have better success when they are in the same workgroup

well, it shouldnt matter that much, but i always have better success when they are in the same workgroup
It's weird but sometimes you can see different workgroup pc's, rule of thumb, they should be in the same workgroup (I call mine HOMELAN as opposed to the MS default)

Put them both in the same workgroup, share the second partition on the laptop (or better still create a directory and share that) and all should be good.

try turning off the firewalls, if that works then it just needs a bit of tweaking.
also are the computers in the same workgroup?
ive also got 1 other thing you can try if that fails

Ok, ZoneAlarm was blocking, so that is now fixed and I can see the 'shared docs' folders for both computers from either computer. Still can't see the 'rest' of either comp. ie. any/all folders and/or partitions.

Thanks for your help.

You need to share the root drive if you want to do that, right click the hard drive > Properties > Sharing.

Back
Top Bottom