Dual boot on 1 hdd

DirtBikeRidr

In Runtime
can i dual boot on a single hdd? which os should be installed first? is there anything i should consider before installing both os's? im going to install vista and xp home.

tia

yes you can, preferably xp first, then you just install vista on the 2nd partition. if you install vista first theres a bit more work involved. theres nothing else to really consider

my understanding has always been that you install the oldest of the 2 operating systems first then the newest

if you want to dual boot windows 98 then windows XP (for instance)
then install windows 98 first then windows XP, since windows 98 won't recognize that XP is installed, but XP will recognize that 98 is installed and allow you to use both.

If you plan to dual boot windows XP and windows server 2003 then it doesn't matter what you install first, both will recognize each other and allow you to dual boot.

if you plan to dual boot an MS installation with Linux installation always install the MS installation first. basically whilst MS will recognize it's own software it'll ignore linux and overwrite the boot sector.

then you have to go back and recreate the boot sector with a boot loader like grub or lilo...

alright so, because xp is installed right now, i can just partition my hdd, and then load up vista, and then when thats done it will ask me which os i want to load?

because my friend loaded xp after vista, and then we were nvr able to load vista, because xp kept loading

it should automatically set up the dual boot once you install vista on the new partition. if it doesnt you can always fix the master boot record, but tbh usually it works straight away

Back
Top Bottom