Paritioning

i have my computer hard drives set up like this
hard drive 1, 2 partitions one for os one to install programs
then my second hard drive where i have all my music torrent files ect

When hard drives had small capacities, I partitioned one small section for OS and the larger remaining section for applications.

Today, with large capacity hard drives, I install at least two large drives Raid arrays with OS, applications and data on same primary drive.

Yeah, I have 2 hard drives set to RAID 1 so they are mirroring each other, showing 1 drive in My Computer.

It is partitioned to have 20gb for Windows XP, and the rest (300GB approx) to run programs

I don't partition, I use seperate pysical drives.

320GB for XP
320GB for Vista
500GB for Data
500GB for Backup

on my laptop i have 1 partition for all xp stuff and another just for vista (nothing else on it). on my desktop i have the 1 for xp, a recovery one, and another one for files and stuff

I partition, so that the drive will be used everywhere. At each slice of 64.0GB, there's going to be another partition. For 60GB and lower, a slice of 8, 16 or 32GB.

I have two paritions on mine. One is a primary boot and the other one is Recovery.

Partitioning can be used for dual booting multiple operating systems and ensuring each has it's own space to play with.

You can also make a dedicated partition for your swap file (mainly for Unix/Linux but some Windows admin's perfer a separate swap partition to reduce drive trashing (also a second hard drive for that which would be better).

Finally, just plain simple data sorting and backup. Should your primary partition become corrupt, your backup partition has all your personal files stored there and it's safe as long as you don't reformat that partition :p.

Back
Top Bottom