David something has to be done

This forum has its good points and bad points. I think the community we have is nice for the most part.

I would like to see custom sig's and avatars. I don't understand why we don't have these.

The forum has a nice layout and is easy on the eyes. I like the idea of getting some links out there to bring people to the community.

If there was a need for more mods I wouldn't have a problem being one. I'm normally on through the day when i'm off work.

This forum does bore me as well at times. I'd like to see a dedicated overclocking section since thats all you see anymore in all the computer magazines. Thats bringing people to the forums to find out how but most don't stick around after we help them out.

Perhaps something else that could be done is bullet the sub forums onto the main forum window. Theres alot of sub forums that don't get much attention because people just click general hardware were they may click processors if it was bulleted underneath the General Hardware section. Just like the review section it should be out there on the main page so people can see it.

Sure we all know about these sections but most people skip right down to the main sections.

Right now theres 4 active members online. Thats a pretty small portion. Something needs to be done to attract older people to the forums as well. I know alot of are regulars are in school so of course the forums going to seem dead since schools back up. Not sure what you would want to do to target older people besides give them some more options and open the rules up a little.

one bad thing i have to say about david is when he does come online he welcomes new people and stuff, which is great, but when he sees a thread like this he makes the odd reply, but just kind of ignores the problem at hand.

I always make an effort to read the threads, and I get alot of PMs from the staff and lots from members here but I always take the time to read them. Granted sometimes my replies are a little shorted than I would like but please be assured I do not ignore the threads here.

Just because I have not enabled everything stated in the first post of this thread doesn't mean that nothing is going to happen in the future, I want to read as many opinions as I can and then see what happens.

100px-Hammer_and_sickle_svg.jpg

While this maybe funny it is not true. Everyone to quickly forgets the problems each change brings with it. The rep system for example was a huge waste of time. Everyone was saying why don't we have rep etc, David never does anything with CF etc. Then there was the upgrade issue.

So who is to know what custom avatars will entail? maybe they will work out for the better or maybe not.

What will happen to the CF priveleged users? There position that they have been awarded by the staff and I for being valuable members of the community will now be worthless. That is something that gives the members a reason to stick around and help instead of giving them a custom avatar the second they join and have nothing to work for in the future.

Why not just give priveleged members mod status without the official mod title. Normally on forums you have your main mods say in red. Then you have other global mods say in blue that may have say the simple ability of removing spam or editing a post.

That should be a privlege they should have since they have proven there special.

Also while your deciding what to do here I've decided to create my own forum that has all of that. I just got off a 12 hr shift so I'm a bit tired right now. I just put up a social lounge. I'll have to change the domain around later i'm a bit tired to start creating sections etc. I'll get to work on it shortly though. But feel free to join up guys just give me a few days to get everything setup completely. Right now here's the SITE

You should be able to join up and start posting. Feel free to open some suggestions. This is just a free board but if you guys like it when I get everything hooked up on it maybe I'll swap out to a more advanced board.

this forum is just lacking a strong community imo.
if we did have things like custom things and stuff im sure the current members would be a lot happier, and would post more, and it would attract more new people, making the community much better

I always make an effort to read the threads, and I get alot of PMs from the staff and lots from members here but I always take the time to read them. Granted sometimes my replies are a little shorted than I would like but please be assured I do not ignore the threads here.

Just because I have not enabled everything stated in the first post of this thread doesn't mean that nothing is going to happen in the future, I want to read as many opinions as I can and then see what happens.

While this maybe funny it is not true. Everyone to quickly forgets the problems each change brings with it. The rep system for example was a huge waste of time. Everyone was saying why don't we have rep etc, David never does anything with CF etc. Then there was the upgrade issue.

So who is to know what custom avatars will entail? maybe they will work out for the better or maybe not.

What will happen to the CF priveleged users? There position that they have been awarded by the staff and I for being valuable members of the community will now be worthless. That is something that gives the members a reason to stick around and help instead of giving them a custom avatar the second they join and have nothing to work for in the future.
I know in the past I used to bang on about rep, & to say things like "I've got X amount of pos reps guys", but I've had a drastic re-think & now I wouldn't give a toss if it disappeared tomorrow, as for priviledged members I can take it or leave it, even if I were qualified enough to be one, I'd say no thanks, IMO all we need are junior members, [drop the terms "noob" or "newbies"] I'm sure new members don't like being referred to as these, next Gurus, I propose two stages 500 posts apart, [the actual positioning could be agreed later] then on to mods, two stages again depending only on performance, not on length of service, this would rest well with Arrixz, I mean, look how well he's done as mod in a a relatively short time, now the next proposal will I would guess raise some eyebows, a completely new post of "Head Moderator", myself I wouldn't want it, even if I were a mod again, that person would be taking on a huge responsibility, second only to David, he wouldn't be regarded as admin, IMO there must be only one Administration Officer so that it always remains as a demarcation point, & that's it, please pick it over, that's what discussions are for, bearing in mind that there is never a perfect system, but if the bugs are ironed out round a virtual table headed by David & the entire squad of mods. I find there is one distinct advantange of being in the position I am now, it's the ability to look at & analyse the Moderating system from the outside.

Please read it all through, personally I think it would work quite well with perhaps a small tweak here & there.

By the way neodude, I only deleted that flag as good as it is, to save space
superbiggrin.gif

I know in the past I used to bang on about rep, & to say things like "I've got X amount of pos reps guys", but I've had a drastic re-think & now I wouldn't give a toss if it disappeared tomorrow, as for priviledged members I can take it or leave it, even if I were qualified enough to be one, I'd say no thanks, IMO all we need are junior members, [drop the terms "noob" or "newbies"] I'm sure new members don't like being referred to as these, next Gurus, I propose two stages 500 posts apart, [the actual positioning could be agreed later] then on to mods, two stages again depending only on performance, not on length of service, this would rest well with Arrixz, I mean, look how well he's done as mod in a a relatively short time, now the next proposal will I would guess raise some eyebows, a completely new post of "Head Moderator", myself I wouldn't want it, even if I were a mod again, that person would be taking on a huge responsibility, second only to David, he wouldn't be regarded as admin, IMO there must be only one Administration Officer so that it always remains as a demarcation point, & that's it, please pick it over, that's what discussions are for, bearing in mind that there is never a perfect system, but if the bugs are ironed out round a virtual table headed by David & the entire squad of mods. [<----That was one sentence! New record?] I find there is one distinct advantange of being in the position I am now, it's the ability to look at & analyse the Moderating system from the outside.

Please read it all through, personally I think it would work quite well with perhaps a small tweak here & there.

By the way neodude, I only deleted that flag as good as it is, to save space
superbiggrin.gif

I think the issues you are addressing, Brookfield, are not really issues at all. i mean, you're talking about upping the level of moderation on these forums which is besides the point that people are trying to make. It's not about moderation. IMO, we already have mods who do their job effectively. Additionally, I am not sure what you are talking about with the whole proposing "two stages 500 posts apart". What do these stages entail? Actually, I think all the points you've made are irrelevant to the topic because you are suggesting changes to aspects of these forums that are already working well. This thread is about the request for new features for the forums.

Don't take this personal, I would have created this post in response to anybody who had written what you did.

As I said in another thread, I believe there are too many "Gurus" here and they really are nothing special. Plus a "Guru" has a high level of knowledge about something whereas many "Guru"s here have simply reached a high post count regardless of the quality or merit of their posting.

Plus it appears there is nothing after Guru. I have seen Gurus with 13 000 posts and some with a mere one thousand, is there not another rank?

I also find the issue of custom avatars very puzzling, I must say.

You guys are forgetting something here:

If you want smilies and avatars, PM David! He even told us before! What is he supposed to do when you never send him a pack? He can't play guessing game! As for sigs and custom avatars, well...that can be here.

BTW, back in August of '05, there was a community. EVERYONE enjoyed forum as it was. All David has to do is fix a bit of flaws, to make the forum straight looking and not have the page selection go WAY far.

custom avs were tried before, and were abused so they were cut.. whats to say the same wont happen again?? also.. the custom titles, that would defeat the whole object of the privilidged member system.. images in sigs.. yes, those little bars do look good.. but in all honesty, not everyone will use them.. and we will end up with stupid big images, which would just look tacky. the problem we had was with the DB error thing, we lost alot of members thorugh that, we just need to build up again.. nothing drastic needs to be done IMO, we will just build up over time, we want people here cause they like the forum, not because they can get a custom avatar..

one thing i do agree with though is the ranks, there are far too many gurus, either raise the guru thing to 5,000 and make another rank at 10,000 and 15,000. or just make new names for those steps. there is nothing wrong with the newbie/junior member/member/senior member thing, but i think it would be better if newbie was 0-99 posts, junior member was 100-499 posts, member was 500-999 posts senior member was 1000-5000, or something like that.. the figures arent all that, but something needs to be done about the titles..

i dont think the theme needs to be changed at all, it looks clean and tidy as it is, nothing wrong with that..

Back
Top Bottom