Different CPU Core Types

Szat

Daemon Poster
Hi everyone,
I'm new to these forums and this happens to be my first post. I have a question regarding the different types of CPU cores and I'm sure someone can help me.
First off, what does "nm" mean? I assume the higher the #nm is better. Secondly, what is the difference between the core names like Windsor, Italy, Manchester, Kentsfield, Cedar Mill, etc? Thanks for the help!

First "nm" means nanometer and it mostly describes how thick the CPU is and you are wrong the less the "nm" the better.
Second those names are different family's of CPUs which are based on different architectures of different CPU cores.
Example:
Windsor CPUs can not Overclock very well because of there Core architecture and thickness of the CPU die.
Brisbane CPUs can Overclock because of there core architecture and the fact that it is thiner than the Windsor CPUs by 25nm.

the nm measures how far apart the transistors are inside of the cpu, the shorter the distance to travel the faster the cpu.

Oh wow, it came as a surprise to me that the thickness of the CPU mattered when it came to overclocking. Thanks for the help guys!

I don't know much about CAD programs, but I heard they take advantage of multi-core CPU's.

Back
Top Bottom