kids that think they're hackers piss me off

i get upto 8mb on BT anyway, and the most i can get is 5 in this area, so i doubt hacking my router or modem would improve this, im simply too far away from the exchange. ive heard about it though, it does sound interesting, not that id ever try it, not worth it

That's possible. It's called uncapping your modem. It's highly illegal though, you will get caught sooner or later, lose your internet service, and possibly have charges pressed against you by your ISP.

yea i told him that u could probably do it with his dsl modem by downloading firmware or sumthing but it wasnt actually safe, but he just keeps going about how a 10 bitsis a byte and i have to yell at him again. random!

Its not a good idea to try. A Dude i went to high school w/, him and his buddy increased their cable modem speed. Charter found out about it and sued them. Wasn't pretty. I would stop thinking about the idea if i were you.

Lol well they probably are some dumbasses that only know a little about computers but think they know more, They probably have crap prebuilts that they got someone to upgrade for them and now they think they know shit. I knew a couple people like that... well one of my friends who has a dell is like... "yo do you have a graphics card because mine is crap." well ok that's different because I tought him about computers. but some other kid was like. "i got someone to tweak my computer to make it faster and i remember how to do it, i can do it for you" lol and I was like... tweak? How about go buy a new comp. And some other kid is like i have the best computer ever! its a pd 2.6ghz dual core, 1gbram and 7200 le

But uh... yeah

One of my friends actually beleived a kid who said that he could "Tweak" his pc to make it faster :rolleyes: ,All he did was install a bunch of crap that has slowed it WAAAAAAAAY Down (I mean the 1.6Ghz sempron was slow enough!) And now he has asked me to undo it all....Fun.....:mad:

its not firmware. its config files that u kinda trick the cable modem into adapting as the default.

Sound's a bit like Phone Phreaking :D

It used to bother me when people claimed things, but it doesn't bother me anymore at all actually. Allowing them to banter on about their "skills" doesn't have any effect on your own knowledge, and it won't lose you any business if you do computer work, because if they lie they won't get paid.

The major problem in the field of computers is the feeling of superiority that individuals get.. you know the big headed kids that can do something so they look down their nose on you. Thats what bothers me, personally, more than anything else. I've worked hard in the field and studied for multiple certifications, but I would never look down on an endeavoring individual. Just remember folks, as good and knowledgeable as you are, there is always someone at least 10 times better.

Most of these "hackers" are referred to as 'script kiddies' :)

In regards to who came up with the concept of the mouse, I think it was IBM, I remember Steve Wozniak mentioning it in his book iWoz. It's an interesting book, especially if you're an engineer (which I'm not).

There are a lot of good books out there, recently I read The Art of Intrusion by Kevin Mitnick, I'll probably check out The Art of Deception, also by Mitnick, once the school work has died down some. :p

One of my friends actually beleived a kid who said that he could "Tweak" his pc to make it faster :rolleyes: ,All he did was install a bunch of crap that has slowed it WAAAAAAAAY Down (I mean the 1.6Ghz sempron was slow enough!) And now he has asked me to undo it all....Fun.....:mad:

Sound's a bit like Phone Phreaking :D

well there are tweaks but they dont exactly speed things up. they just change how the system is run.

Back
Top Bottom