New rig ordered: Important Question about HDD..

clearsky1

Solid State Member
Case: Antec 900
Processor: Q6600
Motherboard: Abit IP35 Pro
Graphics: eVGA 8800GTS 640MB
PSU: Corsair 520
Memory: OCZ 2GB Reaper HPC; Crucial Ballistix 2GB
Heatsink: Zalman CNPS9700

Now my major concern is..

well, i have an IDE cable Seagate 320GB hard drive.
As far as i know the only IDE port on the mobo will be taken already, so i'll need a raid card correct?

If i do need a raid card.. what is suggested? And will i need a 2nd SATA HDD (I'll need a way to install windows to install the raid to get my IDE HDD running.. right)?

Thank you very much in advance!

What is "taking" your ide port? rom drive? You can run two devices on an ide port.

more info please

I apologize, I was only told this by a friend and i'm trying to be careful not to waste money since my rig is costing me ~$1300 already.

And suddenly I just realized, i'll be needing to buy a CD-ROM drive too.

But you say that the IDE port can hold 2 devices? Well then maybe i dont need to get a raid, i'll just be getting 1 CD-Rom drive i think. Those are IDE-required ports right?

well unless its a S-ATA CD-Rom drive, but normally most IDE cables have two connectors to attach to devices.

edit: ive taken a look at the motherboard you were buying, and it does have S-ATA 300 connectors - so if you buy a CD and even a DVD drive that works off S-ATA 300 youd be ok.

Yep, that's correct. You'd put your IDE hdd as primary master and the rom drive as primary slave on your ide channel, there's no real need for raid.

EDIT: I have a question about the ram in your first post, why two brands? and why 4GB? are you planning to run a 64bit os?

Also another question to go with this one from last post

(I have a question about the ram in your first post, why two brands? and why 4GB? are you planning to run a 64bit os?)

You have two different speed ram modules the Reaper is 8500 and the ballistix is 6400, the 8500 will run at 6400 speed so that would be a waste as well.

EDIT: Also get the Zalman 9700NT too btw, has m/board fan control.

Ack, The reaper is actually at 6400 also. It's a cheaper version of it i guess.. i got it for $60 after Mail In at newegg...

The reason i got 2 different ones is... well i was going to get the Crucial Ballistix 4GB worth, (running on a 32bit, i understand that the max is 3.25 on 32bit) but the rebate allowed for 1 address only. Didn't want to deal with going to a friend's house to pick up something so I got 2 different brands.

as for the heatsink, it's already bought unfortunately, wish I had known earlier. Thats kind of frustrating, the CNPS does not have m/board fan control?

hey well spotted - could have been a bit of a costly mistake:rolleyes:
Unless he's (?) planning on running 64bit windows then 4GB would be a tad of a waste as well. Also unless overclocking there is no need for the 8500.

EDIT: if it is the vanilla 9700 it comes with the Zalman "Fanmate" which allows you to manually adjust the rpm, the NT has a 4 pin connector that allows the m/board to control rpm, either way it will be fine, just means you need to find a place to mount the fanmate for easy access, last time I had a fanmate controlled cooler I just left it at max rpm as I didn't want the fanmate stuck to the outside of my case.

As to the ram, I understand now, (I didn't see the 6400 Reaper), do they have the same timings?

Back
Top Bottom