Keyboard delays

Denier-of-Soup

In Runtime
I'm having trouble playing a game I bought recently. Every control associated with my PS/2 keyboard is delayed for some reason. For example, if I press left, it'll move left, but not straight away. Sometimes, it'll move left straight away, but it'll keep moving in that direction for a while even after I've let go of the key. How am I supposed to get to the other side of a bridge without walking off the edge? :<

I'll narrow down the problem some more for you guys. The problem goes away completely if I disable the Ethernet adapter. Also, I'm only having this problem in Half-Life 2. Setting the graphics to the lowest level doesn't help at all, even though my computer is above the minimum requirements.

Could there be some sort of conflict between the keyboard and the Ethernet adapter? And would switching to a USB keyboard do anything?

What's your pinG? The problem is that your keyboard sending a signal to the mainserver is slow because you are downloading something or you just have slow internet.

switching to USB might help, I would try new drivers if you could, never know if your current ones are messing anything up.

It doesn't have anything to do with the graphics. Setting the video settings to the lowest doesn't do anything at all. Also, I used to play Half-Life 2 before with the same video card I have right now.

What's your pinG? The problem is that your keyboard sending a signal to the mainserver is slow because you are downloading something or you just have slow internet.

It isn't lag; it happens when I play singleplayer too. I used to play Half-Life 2 before without any problems, but the delays only started when I turned off my wireless internet and started using my Ethernet adapter instead.

I still think it could be drivers. Something could just not be linking up right between the system. Yeah, they may work on others, but by all means they might not be fully compatible with the new game.

If you don't wanna try drivers, try reinstalling the game.

I've tried reinstalling the game too. I'd rather not mess around with the drivers unless I've run out of options, so I'll keep that as a last resort.

I've also noticed that when I keep a key pressed on the keyboard (eg. forward), the mouse stops responding until I let go of the key. The keyboard I'm using isn't a standard one either. Could that have anything to do with it?

http://content.etilize.com/Large/10037103.jpg

That's probably it, then. The Ethernet adapter I'm currently using is built into the motherboard. Would replacing it with an adapter that plugs into the PCI slots help ease the bottle neck issue?

Back
Top Bottom