New FDE Drives!

Hey just heard about these and thought they would be pretty sweet for added security.

Seagate is creating a newFDE drive which stands for Full Disk Encryption.

Seagate is in the works for creating these for home use. Basically its goverment level encryption for the home user.

The way it works is it has a built in drive encryption seperate of your actual OS. This means before you even boot into windows you need to put in a password for the harddrive to unincrypt the data, and undergo other security measures such as fingerprint scanning then boot into windows. I'm sure most of you have a fingerprint reader by now anyways. Of course then you would have to enter your windows password etc to get into windows. The goverment lables this technology as AES. Not sure what AES stands for though.

Another great feature is a complete erase of the drive via deleting the encryption key making it extremely easy to erase your drive completely. Much more secure then just reformatting which can sometimes leave data behind.

This seems like something thats going to become standard equipment in PC's down the road here. Source was from the latest issue of Computer shopper.

i dont see what there is to protect, the only thing i can see is your credit cards\passwords, but those are pretty hard to get even if you have physical access to the computer, you would have to use key loggers.

i dont see what there is to protect, the only thing i can see is your credit cards\passwords, but those are pretty hard to get even if you have physical access to the computer, you would have to use key loggers.

Well its not just that. I do pretty much everything online. IE my taxes all my banking etc. I download statements and historys from my bank to my computer. I want it to be as hard as possible for someone to get in and see personal info.

Its a step in the right direction. Imagine how many people have sensitive info like this on there computer. It would be more benificial for labtop users in case it was to get stolen because its fairly easy to crack windows.

Back
Top Bottom