What is thermal paste?

When I put a few heatsinks on some chips on my mobo, I used thermal paste and a dabb of JB Weld to never loose it's grip (Not reccomending this hehe, though it worked well for me). But I would stick with thermal paste as the thermal paste has it's purpose that you want for transfer of heat, and grease has it's purpse for car engines. :p

then dont call the thread "What is thermal paste?" :rolleyes:

and you should just stick to thermal paste designed to be used with heatsinks etc since using "grease" is a bit iffy especially coming from a mechanic since "grease" is a very bad conductor of heat, well the kind i know of does.

If I meant it that way, I would have titled it "what is thermal paste used for?"

Duh! :rolleyes:

dielectric grease maybe? I would just use regular thermal paste if i were you though...

Yeah I think it was called dielectric grease, he said he uses it (he builds computers from home and hes a part time mechanic for working on USPS delivery trucks) Will it work?

Well, dielectric grease is conductive its used so things will make a better connection so I don't think it would be the best thing to use for thermal paste, plus I don't know if its very conductive of heat, so I'de stick with good old thermal paste.

Well I have some paste on my heatsink. It's quite old and ive gotten my fingers on it... it cant hurt to try it right? what is the average idle celcius for a athlon X2 5000+ with oem heatsink and fan, couple of fan cases too?

Back
Top Bottom