How to waste cash

lhuser

Golden Master
Well yesterday, I did some PC shopping. I went to tmy fav used local store and grabbed a 512MB DDRII667 for my laptop and I bought a Socket 7 board with a K6-2 500. He left the board for free with the CPU. I was preety happy. Now, I was still looking for someone to accept my crap I had sitting in the back of the car. On our way to my sis's place, there was another PC shops, but there, I can buy HDMI cable for 20 bucks, caps and all sort of things that bats The Source's butt. Extra cheap stuff....until it comes to computing.

I asked the lady for a S462 motherboard and heatsink (To fit my AMD Athlon XP 2000+). She gives me a board with dead caps. No probs. I can fix it. Guess what...SHE ASKED 10 DANG BUCKS! She was telling me those are for P4s....err...Socket 462? P4? Err, no. That's the second time I got there and both clerks can't even understand what the he!! I'm talking about. All other shops knows that. Anyways, for 20 bucks, no tax, I end up with that board, and the Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu heatsink.

So, today, I try to fix the POS. Two cap legs broke, rendering the board irreparable. All the soldering dissolved for some reason. Tried applying more and it made the board a bit flaky. Not only that, but I see the greenish color on the blue mat on the board (Gigabyte). Not only did I had to change caps, but volt regs also. Now, I know that if I try to return it, I'll never get another one :mad: What a waste of cash. Now, I've got to cross fingers that when I find a 4700uf, 6.3V cap for my MSI board, it will power on. A VIA KT133 with a 2000+ doesn't really fit.

So, I am sitting here, with the 3 mobos I bought from Ebay, and since I did a local pickup, he gave me 3 defective DVD Burners. I ended up fixing one, but the two others were self-destructing themselves! The boards? None started, but it was expected. The P4PE-X didn't had the green LED on, and the two others wouldn't even turn off upon the power switch. So, I'll have to desoler the caps. So now, I have wasted...32 bucks. Well, sort of. 12 bucks for caps and a refurbished DVD burner (I fixed it) isn't bad and 10 bucks for the TT volcano...meh. Still...10 bucks wasted.

Not only that, but I looked at a 486...and they were asking 200 for it...no HDD. Wow, what a rip off! So, I'll go there to buy bits and pieces, but for computing, my local PC shop OWNS.

Yeah well I corrected her, saying it was for AMDs. Some people just don't know how to know their stuff...and that's what ticks me off.

the guy at pcrichards said that a p4 512 ram was top of the line and more then enough to run windows vista and play all next gen games = /

i got a socket A board you could have if you payed shipping, im in the states but it shouldnt be too much. im not sure if it still works though, it worked great for my old 1.2 t-bird, ran great, its an asus from a prefab with 2 ram slots(SD though). if your interested shoot me a pm.

Back
Top Bottom