Nvidia Video Card

HeyThere

Beta member
Hello.
I recently brought a Nvidia motherboard and was looking around for a PCI-E video card. While surfing the internet, I read that if you have a Nvidia motherboard, then you must buy a Nvidia video card for it to work. I was wondering if this is true, or to some extent.

Although I don't have anything against Nvidia, I prefer to ATI video cards.
In addition, if anybody has a suggestion on it, it would be great.
Thanks.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Ok, now, what stoner forums do you go to? Any PCI-E gpu will work with your PCI-E compliant motherboard.

What are your specs and what do you want to do with the gpu? I can give you plenty of suggestions.

ya doesnt matter what mother bored
give us a price range and will pick you out a nice card

The motherboard is a
EVGA nForce 680i SE SLI (TR Version) Motherboard - NVIDIA, Socket 775

Form Factor: ATX
Processor Interface: Socket 775
Front Side Bus: 1333MHz, 1066MHz
Northbridge: NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI SE
Number of Slots: 4
PCI Slots: 2
PCI Express X1 Slots: 2
PCI Express X16 Slots: 2

(Although I brought it somewhere else, the data was collected from TigerDirect.
link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3089879&sku=E145-2011
Also, there's a youtube video of the board by TigerDirect. It is embedded on the site)

Else I got:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz
2064MB PC-6200 RAM
Planning to install Ubuntu until I have enough to buy XP/Vista.

As for the gpu, I'm a casual gamer, therefore it doesn't really need to play the latest game (enough to play games from the last few years is fine). However, I want to do some video and photo editing on my spare time.
On the other hand, I want a card that doesn't cost too much (around $100 or less.

Would you like for me to give you ATi cards as well?

Yea, that'll be great:)

Also, I forgot, but it'll be great if the video card can have dual monitor (needs to be at least one VGA or comes with a DVI to VGA adapter)

Thanks.

I'm not good with ATI GPU's at the moment. How good is that 2600PRO?

"PNY VCQFX5500-PCIE-PB Quadro FX5500 1GB 256-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail"

You do know that cards a Quadro right and so costs over $2,000? :p

As for the Nvidia motherboard needing a Nvidia card, this isn't true, BUT, if you wanted to be running 2 cards at once at some point since your motherboard supports it, Nvidia will of course only support SLI for two cards and not CrossFire (ATI's version of SLI). Thats what I think they were getting at.

What is so great about the quadro cards?
Go with an 8600gt, or an 8500gt I would say. Or you could buy something like my card.

Back
Top Bottom