Laptop Not Turning on

rangermike

Baseband Member
I have a laptop. I use it alot. Yesterday i turned it on and it when to a black screen that says like i can turn it on normal, with safe mode and some other stuff. I clicked on normal and it doesn't work. But when i click safe mode it works. I need help why cant i turn on my computer normally but safe mode only.

So i click on safe mode and went to restore and restored it to like last month and it still doesn't work. Whats the problem i don't want to reformat my whole computer is there another option.

I'm sure there is another option.. if it will turn on in safe mode then it will turn on regularly :p

What exacly happens? Does it just turn off when you press "Last known best configuration" or Turn on normally or whatever, or do you get a blue screen?

ok here is what happens:
i turn on the computer and i see the compaq thing then it goes to a black screen where i can go to safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with prompt command. then kinda on the bottom i can do it normal and it says "Last known best configuration". I click on that one the normal and it goes to the Windows XP screen where its loads and freezes. The green loading bar on the bottom just stops.

I also tried restoring it again to an earlier date but it doesn't work

looks like you will have to reformat probably, some windows files prob got damaged on shut down and there not working right. you might be able to get it to work, I'm sure these guys have advice.

You probably have some corrupt windows files. Boot into safe mode and run some scans like chkdisk and maybe a virus scan and registry scan if you have that and see what happens.

You probably have some corrupt windows files. Boot into safe mode and run some scans like chkdisk and maybe a virus scan and registry scan if you have that and see what happens.

i think that made it worse. I tried doing chkdisk while in safe mode and then it says it needs to restart before it can do it so i put ok and it restarted but didnt ask me if i want to run it in safe mode or anything so it tried to start up normal but froze so i had to turn it off on the loading page and now when i click on safe mode it doesn't work either it freezes there to.

is there any important data on there?
i mean its easiest to just format, because it will take you ages just figuring out the problem, could be corrupt windows files, failing hardware, etc. a re format and install with eliminate a lot of these problems, and hopefully it is just some bad files

yes. its my dad's computer. he is a business man he has alot of client information and stuff its really important. So right now reformatting is not an option we want.

can you not put the hard drive in another computer as a slave, and then copy all the data off it.
im not sure how vista works, but using the xp cd you can just do a reinstall, keeping all of your files, and it just replaces all the os files. thats worth a go, should be a simular thing on vista

OK well take it to a computer shop. They can probably pull the files, reformat, and get all the files back on there. That's the best option because since we are not infront of your computer we can't really see what is wrong... could be hardware, like GPU drivers or something. I had a GPU that would cause AIM, MSN and IE7 processes to randomly close. When I change the GPU the problem go away but then I couldnt play CS:S

Back
Top Bottom